Eternal Deformity – Frozen Circus

genocide roach

DOOOOOOOOOOM
Aug 18, 2002
Eternal Deformity – Frozen Circus
Code666 – 18 Mar 2008
by Ryan Starr

41EW3UM7L8L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

I typically like to check the archives before I get a band’s CD to review. According to the archives Eternal Deformity are a doom/avant garde band. When I saw that I about shit myself, being a big fan of experimental doom like Esoteric. So I picked it up hoping for something similar. What I got was nowhere near that, but rather a circus influenced goth sound.

Hints of Unexpect and Sigh can be found in this slightly odd release. You won’t find the spastic changes that Unexpect have built their fame around. However you will find some cool tech parts, ala Symphony X, and some goofy sounding phrases. Just enough peculiarity to keep the traditional listener entertained without straying too far into the absurd. Eternal Deformity really has done a great job balancing the abnormal and calming melodies. As a matter of fact, it’s these atmosphere driven parts that make Frozen Circus a quality record. And while I wouldn’t classify it as dark, it definitely feels shadowy, in a Harry Potter forbidden forest kind of way.

While Frozen Circus was nowhere near what I was hoping to receive, I have to admit that it’s a solid release. However, it may not find its way into my rotation too often. Maybe if were on a prog binge and got a little bored with the constant wankery.

Official Eternal Deformity Website
Official Eternal Deformity Myspace
Official Code666 Website