EUROPE Guitarist JOHN NORUM: Teaser For Upcoming Instructional DVD

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
Guitarist John Norum of Swedish hard rockers EUROPE will release his very first instructional DVD later this year exclusively through Norum's official web site, JohnNorum.se. A one-minute teaser for the DVD can be seen below. In a 2010 interview, Norum stated about how he came to be such a well-respected musician: "I think you're born to do it. I've always believed that. You can't force it. Technically, you can be great and learn every scale in the book. Some people can play all night, but still not have heart and soul in their playing." He continued: "It might sound a little bit harsh for me to say this, but it runs so far back in my family. My mom was playing guitar, my uncles all play, all my cousins are in bands — it goes way back. I think I just have it in my genes. It's just something that happens when I play. I start sweating like crazy and I can feel every note through my body. It's just a feel thing. Some people put on funny faces for posing or whatever but when I do it, I can't help it, it just happens by itself… When I go into a solo, I'm gone, away in a different dimension, a different place. It's a wonderful feeling. I'm not thinking that I have to move more, or pose more. [laughs] I leave that to the singer. The most important thing to me is to focus on the guitar playing. "I'm not Angus Young — sometimes I'm stuck in one place — but I enjoy it more than the posing. I'm a goner when I go into lead break. [laughs]" For the record: today's version of EUROPE is identical to the classic "The Final Countdown" lineup: Joey Tempest (vocals), John Norum (guitar), John Levén (bass), Mic Michaeli (keyboards) and Ian Haugland (drums). EUROPE's latest album, "Bag Of Bones", was released in Europe on April 27, 2012 via earMusic/Edel. The CD, which features a guest appearance by blues-rock guitarist Joe Bonamassa (BLACK COUNTRY COMMUNION), was produced by Kevin Shirley, who has previously worked with IRON MAIDEN, Joe Bonamassa, BLACK COUNTRY COMMUNION, BLACK STONE CHERRY and JOURNEY, among others.

More...