Europe thoughts...

Apr 24, 2002
Chicago, Illinois
www.novembersdoom.com
Now that I am home, and shook some of the jet lag, I thought I'd drop a line about the trip.

First, thank you to everyone who attended the shows. The crowds were the best for us yet. As I said to the crowd at the DVD show, we could have filmed that show anywhere in the world, and we chose Belgium, because of the people. when you see the DVD, you'll see why. Just AMAZING.

We also had a great turn out in the Netherlands, and the crowd was also full of energy.

The acoustic show... Wow. What a special night for us. It was a difficult night for us in terms of sound. The club had no monitor system, so it was difficult to hear everything clearly, but it was so intimate, and such a different performance for us, I had a great time, and loved it. I was suffering the whole time from a brutal chest cold, and after two days of growling, and then singing in a very smokey bar, my voice was not 100%. I had a few issues with it going out, but overall, it was a great memory. We DID film the set, more bootleg style, and the tapes are on the way to me, but I'm told the quality of video and sound are both amazing. I'm sure we'll include some of it on the DVD.

Some other non ND related highlights for me...

Ajattara was awesome to see. I only discovered them about a year and a half ago, and in that time I've become a huge fan. I asked them to join us for the shows, maybe a bit selfishly, because I think they are amazing, and fit our style enough, while still being different for the crowd to enjoy.

Once again, seeing our brothers in Thurisaz is always a good time. It's a shame it was so short, and saying goodbye to those guys always sucks. e always say "Until next time!" and there WILL be a next time!

After the guys flew home, my wife, Bassist Chris, his wife, and I all stayed in Europe for 5 more days of vacation. We visited Brugge, which if one of my favorite cities I've visited. Gent was also amazing, visiting a true medieval castle, seeing all the weaponry and torture devices. Beautiful architecture and history galore.

We made our way back to the Netherlands, and an absolute highlight of the vacation for me, was seeing Agua De Annique live, and spending time with our old friend Anneke (Ex-Gathering.) I've always been a Gathering fan, but I have to say, I think the Agua De Annique effects me differently. Right now, AIR is my top pick for CD's in 2007. Live, they blew me away. Anneke has a renewed fire, and it's like watching her in the Gathering 12 years ago. Just amazing.

So, now all the work begins. We have a lot of editing of video, mixing of audio, and putting together as much bonus footage as we can fit on the DVD (or 2 discs.) Great things are coming, as well as an announcement or 2 in the very near future. More soon!

Glad to hear you guys had a great time. So will this dvd be released early 08 or something?

We made our way back to the Netherlands, and an absolute highlight of the vacation for me, was seeing Agua De Annique live, and spending time with our old friend Anneke (Ex-Gathering.) I've always been a Gathering fan, but I have to say, I think the Agua De Annique effects me differently. Right now, AIR is my top pick for CD's in 2007. Live, they blew me away. Anneke has a renewed fire, and it's like watching her in the Gathering 12 years ago. Just amazing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I was a bit sad not to see you guys pop up in Leuven. I was waiting for that call. ;)
Both Belgian dates were amazing to attend though. And as I said, Paul: thanks for playing "Leaving This" in Antwerp. One of several amazing songs to be able to see and hear live...!
Larry, if you read this; get in touch about those "trade items", man. ;)

Right now, AIR is my top pick for CD's in 2007. Live, they blew me away.
After digging your Ajattara recommendation, I felt compelled to check this out. No dice. The music is simply too somber and too melancholy. If I had to listen to this CD daily, I'd end up with a gun in my mouth. And it's not because it's "not Metal enough". I listen to plenty of non-Metal music.

By the way, congrats on the European tour/vacation.

Zod

After digging your Ajattara recommendation, I felt compelled to check this out. No dice. The music is simply too somber and too melancholy. If I had to listen to this CD daily, I'd end up with a gun in my mouth. And it's not because it's "not Metal enough". I listen to plenty of non-Metal music.

By the way, congrats on the European tour/vacation.

Zod

Yes, I can see what you mean, but for me, I LOVE the depressing and somber stuff, so this was spot on for me.

And Ajattara live is AWESOME. hahaha

All 3 shows were awesome. The accoustic set was amazing, hearing some of those songs for the first time live... And Paul, thanks for playing "If Forever".

Hey, you guys went to Gent? You shoulda called me, I would've guided you around, shown you some stores you would've liked ;)

All 3 shows were awesome. The accoustic set was amazing, hearing some of those songs for the first time live... And Paul, thanks for playing "If Forever".

Hey, you guys went to Gent? You shoulda called me, I would've guided you around, shown you some stores you would've liked ;)

Hey Thomas! Nice to see you here on the forums! We left Brugge and stopped in Gent on our way to Holland, so we were only in Gent for a couple of hours, just enough time to grab lunch, and see the castle Gravensteen. If we didn't go to Holland, we would have stayed in Gent for the night, and I would have certainly called you! There's never enough time to see everything we want to, and spend time with friends. We'll see you again soon enough. ;)

Come to Chicago!

Maybe next time. You guys will be in Belgium sooner than me making it to Chicago ;)

I wish it wasn't so damned hard to do a tour of England. The promoters there have been difficult to organise gigs with so far, and there's so much paperwork and tax issues to deal with as well. Once we figure out a way to make it all work out, we'll be there!