Evel Knievel passes away......RIP

FatesFan

Dec 18, 2004
http://www.evelknievel.com/

Friday, November 30 marked the end of what will forever be remembered as the longest and most courageous battle between one man, a man we all know as the world's greatest daredevil, and death. Robert Craig "Evel" Knievel died in Clearwater, Florida, finally succumbing after nearly a three-year bout with the terminal lung disease, idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. He was 69.

His death was preceded by more than 40 years of constant battle against the persistent pain of broken bones and severe trauma after jumping and crashing motorcycles like no man had ever done before. In addition, he fought to overcome the tremendous obstacles of diabetes, hepatitis C, a liver transplant, numerous surgeries and two strokes.

Knievel's legacy as America's Legendary Daredevil, Last of the Gladiators, and King of the Stuntmen will undeniably live on among millions of fans, past, present and future.

[ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=TfmOjjIDH_c[/ame]

This man was metal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:worship: Rest in Peace brother!

He had just been in the news recently, too (within the last week or so) for settling a lawsuit with Kanye West out of court. Kinda freaky.

It's a shame he's gone. To many of my generation, he symbolized courage, talent, and sometimes, let's face it, flat-out lunacy...but we'll always remember the name "Evel Knievel." Always.

He was absolutely my hero as a boy. Who could give a rat's ass about batman when you had Evel Knievel ? Sure the guy was a complete freaking idiot, but he was brave to say the least. His legacy will last forever.

Bryant

He had just been in the news recently, too (within the last week or so) for settling a lawsuit with Kanye West out of court. Kinda freaky.

It's a shame he's gone. To many of my generation, he symbolized courage, talent, and sometimes, let's face it, flat-out lunacy...but we'll always remember the name "Evel Knievel." Always.

Not much of a 'hero' as far as I'm concerned. Interesting that he would sue and collect from Kayne West when he hasn't paid his judgement to Shelly Saltman in over thirty years. He was ordered to pay Saltman over $12M in the 70's, which he never did. With interest his estate now owes Saltman over $100M.

The $12M were ordered as a result of Knievel shattering Saltman's arm when Saltman used it to defend his head from a baseball bat Knievel tried to kill him with. Knievel went to prison and his career was pretty much done after that. Great guy.

Great post !! However, no matter how much the guy was a bully and self indulgent, he was... what he was. I wouldn't do what he did for all the money in the world.

Bryant

Not much of a 'hero' as far as I'm concerned. Interesting that he would sue and collect from Kayne West when he hasn't paid his judgement to Shelly Saltman in over thirty years. He was ordered to pay Saltman over $12M in the 70's, which he never did. With interest his estate now owes Saltman over $100M.

The $12M were ordered as a result of Knievel shattering Saltman's arm when Saltman used it to defend his head from a baseball bat Knievel tried to kill him with. Knievel went to prison and his career was pretty much done after that. Great guy.

I know the guy was no saint and I would not even begin to say Knievel and Role Model in the same sentence. Having said that, for the period of time prior to the Saltman thing, he was the closest thing to a human super hero that kids like me had. You had a guy in a cape that had the balls to do things that no one else did. He was jumping with a big ass Harley that was not made for that kind of thing ( unlike the guys now who jump on high tech MX bikes).

The guy was a wise guy from jumpstreet. He was the local "business protector" in Bute......you either paid him to watch your place or bad things would happen to it. He was like a real life Dukes of Hazzard in the sence that he would run from the law all the time back when he was young. He could of easily been a no good thug but he made something out of himself.....something huge. In the end however, his thugish ways became the end of him.

Based only on his daredevil carreer, he was a hero to me. He made me believe that the impossilble was possible at times, but he also taught me that no matter who you are, you can and will fail at things and even though you did, you should pick yourself up and press on.

Was he a perfect person? Not by a long shot, but then again, who of us is? The guy made history in a larger than life and very entertaining way.