Evergrey - Monday Morning Apocalypse.

How did you pull that one off, since it's supposed to come out March 7?

I pulled the "single" and I'm not so sure... Recreation Day is a near masterpiece - an album I listen to quite a bit. That new track did not hit me very hard, after several listens.

Globally, is it on par with Rec. Day?

I´ve heared to samples on their website, yeah it´s diferent, but sound awesome to my ears, i´m a big fan of this band, these new samples sound heavier and darker than inner circle and Recreation Day( this is really a masterpiece) but they always have better songs on the album, than the singles they put for promotion, so i can´t wait to buy the cd.

It's available for some time on p2p sharing programs...
Its sound is very meaty, especially drums and guitars, which were somewhat thin on Inner Circle.
The songs are between 3:30 and 4:30 in length, so no experimenting, it all looks pretty pre-planned and directed to commercial success. The music's Evergrey, they haven't watered down, just ditched their progressive bits and pieces, the narrations and the unpredictable parts. It's all ready made for an average listener, they probably want to expand their audience. But I wouldn't call this a sellout, cause they've always made songs like these on the new album...
To summarize, I'd say that album is very good to great, but for now my least favorite of all their discography. That doesn't mean the new album is bad, but that the rest is incredibly good... ;)

Kenneth R. said:
I think it's good but the guitar tone got raped :erk:

i agree man, doesn't sound anywhere near as dark and tight as it used to, i love the tone on blinded........but i like the songs on this album especially unspeakable

i don't like it. inner circle was way better. it seems like they were out to make a cd that would build their fanbase, but they failed. its not as catchy as previous albums, the production is pretty weak, and the lyrical content is literally stuff like "i can't do anything to make my dad love me" they've kinda lost what made them so good.

IMO, the samples/ album (havent heard it yet) could sound better with a mix that wasn't so guitar/ vocal biased. It took me a few listens to get use to the mix. The drums seem to lack punch, the keys are WAY too far in the background, and the bass could be a bit higher.

I don't find anything on the first 7 songs. They're just songs for being songs. Nothing astounding in them, can't even remember one riff or vocal line after listening to it :S Not a good sign for an Evergrey album.

Some thoughts after two repeats of the album:

* I wasn't even certain it ~was~ Evergrey until track 4. Up to that point the singer sounded more like someone doing an Englund impression than Englund himself. Much less low register and 'meat' to the vocal sound than on previous albums -- as if trying to simulate Tom having lost a lot of weight (both physical and emotional).

* Maybe it's just my speakers, but the guitars seem to have been run through a 5-band graphic eq set in an M shape: Band1 at +10, B2 at -10, B3 at 0, B4 at +10, B5 at -10. All lower and upper midrange with no low end 'meat' (there's that word again) or high end sheen. Especially the second solo on track 4 -- are they kidding with that tone?

* The title track's chorus sounds rather like Nightingale. Which is not a bad thing... but nor is it an Evergrey thing.

* Will I ultimately end up considering this a good album overall? Yes, probably. Does it have all (or even most) of the things I expect and enjoy in an Evergrey album? Wouldn't appear so. Adds up to an okay album that could have been made by some generic new band with an EG influence. :erk: