Evergrey - "The Inner Circle"

ProgMetalFan

In the attic
Jan 3, 2002
PITTSBURGH
Another great Inside Out release! The limited edition has wonderful digibook packaging. There's a lot of great photos and whatnot inside. And of course, the music is stunning. Perhaps Evergrey's most cerebral work to date!

I agree. Complete recovery from their disasterously bad Recreation Day. The Inner Circle is full of all the FEAR and the PAIN and the RAGE and the PASSION found in the best Evergrey songs (besides, Carina's all over the cd, which is a very very good thing). I've yet to open the digibook, since I was listening to the cd in the car, but the feeling I get from listening to this album (which I've heard in full for the past month or 2) of being punched in the stomach by the subject matter.

I think it's an excellent album. Takes some time to get into though, but really really good. Not to mention the recreation Day, which is a milestone as well in dark / furious metal at its best.

Recreation Day is amazing. What did they do right? The put together strong melodies into heavy AND softer songs, for the variety. The soft songs broke up the album and made it what it is. Simply amazing.

The Inner Circle, on the other hand, is a bit boring and wears thin right away. I turned a bunch of people onto Evergrey, but they bought TIC and ended up hating the group. I agree. A year later and I don't care much more for the album.