Every Time I Die - The Big Dirty

The Black Sails

New Metal Member
Sep 9, 2006
London, UK (w/ Russ)
Every Time I Die - The Big Dirty
Ferret Music - f0852 - 3 September 2007
The Black Sails

I've been avidly following ETID since Burial Plot Bidding War, so when I saw this I felt like a kid at Christmas, and this Christmas the giving is good!

When I first heard Gutter Phenomenon I was a bit disappointed; I loved ETID not for the metal but for the way they added other genres into the mix, and did it with a sass other bands could rarely match. The more I listened the more I loved it. This apprehension was again in place at the opening of the sleeve of the new effort The Big Dirty, but as soon as 'No Son of Mine' came at me I knew I was in for something special - all dirt and groove, it was only two listens through before I was singing along. It is absolutely sure to be a live favourite, as is the second track 'Pigs Is Pigs' with its chorus sure to be in heads for days. But this has always been a large factor in their success and hopefully they will continue to provide this service for some time to come.

'Leatherneck' takes us way back to Hot Damn with my favourite chorus on the album, and it really is an absolute corker, but is quickly usurped and sure to be looked over by the balls out fight song 'We'rewolf', which bestows on us "In the wild kingdom/You don't live until you're ready to die/Which one of you sons of bitches/is gonna make me feel alive?".

This is very definitely an ETID record, let's just get that out of the way before we go any further. All loud geetars and big vocals, fans of the first few releases won't be let down on this side, but they may not appreciate, on first hearing, the strength of the bombacity in Rendez-Voodoo, which is completely sung, and INRIhab which takes on a Halldor Laxness era Minus flavour, but with ETID's usual lyrical themes (and no this one doesn't mention anything about being at sea!). I'll see you at the live shows.

Best thing I've heard all year. Go out and buy it the minute it hits the streets - and not just for the special edition with the bonus DVD.

Official Every Time I Die Website
Official Ferret Music Website