unknown

fuck ftagn
Oct 27, 2003
The Red Tower
Evil Scarecrow - Beware of the Hell Dog
Unsigned - 13 Jan 2007
Written by Michael Koger

scarecrowcover.jpg

Some people think black metal takes itself too seriously. Evil Scarecrow probably share the same opinion. This five piece black metal band from the UK play their brew of metal with a tongue firmly in cheek. Comparisons with Blackthrone may seem appropriate, but whereas Blackthrone are more of a comedic Dark Throne, Evil Scarecrow are somewhere (musically) along the lines of Emperor's later works. Their latest four track demo, Beware of the Hell Dog, is bursting with excellent riffs, a pounding rhythm section, and lyrics that are pretty damn funny.

The demo starts off with the track, 'Hell Dog'. Right off the bat, the band uses one thing I wish most metal bands would stop doing, and that is the spoken word intro. Of course, Evil Scarecrow's purpose in using it is to show just how ridiculous it is. Another technique often used by bands is sampling movies or television shows. This can be heard on the hilariously titled, 'Last Battle of the Unicorns' and 'Dead Things'. Earlier I compared the band to a tongue in cheek Emperor, and the vocals are the most obvious similarity. The band also utilizes keyboards but not in an overwhelming sense. They're more in the background to add to the atmosphere. The music in general wavers in and out of symphonic black metal, at times wandering into melodic death or thrash. This is not a bad thing since the transitions are rather seamless.

The best part of the demo is probably the lyrics. At times, they actually had me laughing at loud. "I smell like dead things...but I still smell better than you", off of the second track left me laughing at its absurdity. The last track, 'Opacity', spoke volumes to me (and perhaps to other UM users) with the lines, "I hate the bloody chavs/I hate their burberry caps".

I'm not sure how big of a market there is for black metal parody bands, but Evil Scarecrow are definitely worth a listen.

Official Evil Scarecrow Website

Hmmm... the stuff you listed isn't really funny, but I'd be willing to check it out to see if it gets funnier. :cool: