circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Evile – Hell Demo
Self-Released – May 15th, 2006
By Jason Jordan

helldemo.jpg

Hell Demo is both a step forward and a step back for these U.K. thrashers, their previous effort All Hallows Eve EP superior only in regards to artwork and overall catchiness. Though in the two years since the EP first touched down, this quartet’s songwriting has improved and the production has reached optimal balance. Even when weighing the plusses, I doubt labels are knocking on the foursome’s door in hopes they’ll sign the next Exodus, Testament, Slayer, or Metallica, with Evile harboring a sound that has not only faded from the main spotlight, but sets them directly beside their idols. In other words, seekers of originality should probably look elsewhere for kicks. However, those who fancy a good time – driven home by noteworthy musicianship and great songwriting – will be satiated entirely, as long as the listener is comfortable with the group’s influences seeping out from just about every second of this shiny, 30-minute disc.

Perhaps it’s best to avoid comparing the two, but Hell Demo is honestly an improvement over the EP in the areas that count. While there’s no clear leader in the race for a fan favorite – “Killer from the Deep” being the one from All Hallows Eve EP – every track excels for several reasons. Like before, the brothers Drake shred. Unlike before, the even keel production doesn’t elevate the guitars above everything else, though Evile are surely a guitarist’s band. “Enter the Grave” and “Death Sentence” are straightforward thrash tunes that brandish exceptional rhythms, the members each outfitted with an expert sense of timing. More impressive in a conglomerate sense, however, is the seven-minute “We Who Are About to Die,” which is evidently an ode to the gladiatorial disputes of ancient Roman times – slower than its brethren initially, the guitar leads become warring entities as the lethal-yet-faux guitar battles ensue. Featuring the best riffs of the entire lot, arguably, is “Russian Roulette,” though following the gem of Hell Demo diminishes its potency considerably. The pace of closer “Thrasher” is akin to a frantic escape attempt, but at the same time is more controlled and organized. Essentially, “Thrasher” wastes no time in jetting for the finish line.

So in summation, Evile are maturing as a unit, writing better songs, and furthering their musical abilities. The art of Hell Demo may not stack up to the sophisticated visuals of All Hallows Eve EP – though I like the less refined, underground perspective they’ve apparently decided to piggyback – but the former overcomes its predecessor at nearly every turn. The problem is that major labels will most likely not be interested in signing a group that borrows so heavily from their ancestors, plus there’s also the fact that most thrash doesn’t sell too well. There are exceptions to the rule, of course, but this crew does deserve to be heard. And to single-handedly disprove my own conjecture, take recent Nuclear Blast signing Threat Signal, for instance, a Demanufacture-era Fear Factory clone. Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about....

7.5/10

UM’s Review Rating Scale

Official Evile Website