Exclusive : Mikael Akerfeldt All Time Favourite Music Videos !!!

Depeche Mode up to Black Celebration? They weren't even remotely good until Black Celebration!

Anyway, Kinc Crimson released some pretty sweet records in the '80s, as did Peter Gabriel.

Why the 80s didn't suck:

Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Metallica
Mercyful Fate
The Scorpions
Dio
Rush
Ozzy's first two solo records (especially Diary of a Madman)
The Police
Prince
The Smiths
Sonic Youth (especially Daydream Nation and Sister)
Cocteau Twins
Skinny Puppy
Caberet Voltaire
The Cure
Yes, Whitesnake:)
XTC
Depeche Mode (up to Black Celebration)
Tracy Chapman's debut album
The Clash
Motley Crue's first two albums

...and much more!;)

This is true! BUT!!!
Compared to the 60s and 70s , the 80s really sucked.
Especially the rock world got totally preposterous.
But thats just my opinion.
I am just a jimi Hendrix - pink Floyd - led zeppelin etc fun that never progressed to the 80s.

The 80's were fun. Like all decades, it had its share of good and bad. But, seriously, it was a fun time to be a kid into music. The year 1984 has stuck with me as one of the greatest musical years of my life. Good times....

Edit: Thinking back on Whitesnake in particular, their self-titled album is one of the few albums I've purchased 3 times. My dog ate my cassette, and I remember being DEVASTATED. I loved my dog, but I wanted to kill him! So bought it again, and then, later on, I ended up buying the CD (I don't think I had a CD player at that point, tbh... Even when I got a CD player, I used to only get albums I really liked on CD cuz they were so much more expensive than tapes back then). I don't think there are many other albums I can say I've bought that many times.

Why the 80s didn't suck:

Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Metallica
Mercyful Fate
The Scorpions
Dio
Rush
Ozzy's first two solo records (especially Diary of a Madman)
The Police
Prince
The Smiths
Sonic Youth (especially Daydream Nation and Sister)
Cocteau Twins
Skinny Puppy
Caberet Voltaire
The Cure
Yes, Whitesnake:)
XTC
Depeche Mode (up to Black Celebration)
Tracy Chapman's debut album
The Clash
Motley Crue's first two albums

...and much more!;)

couldnt care less...except for like 3 or 4 of those bands...

Never listened to the roundhouse tapes?
I think he's more of a blowjob-guy, so let him be will ya :lol:

No, actually I think he's into both. He sure has some exprerience, i guess. "Do you think this is the anal-scene, or the blowjob?" (Something like that)

^This is the guy I idolize? o_O :kickass::kickass:

I saw Whitesnake when they opened for Motley Crue back in the Girls Girls Girls tour (87).
And let me tell you - they were no joke (then!)
Totally creamed Crue's ass - altho anyone who's seen them live knows that's not too difficult...

That Still of the Night lineup was like a who's who of rock gods - Vivian Campbell, Adrian Vandenberg, Rudy Sarzo, Tommy Aldridge and of course the man himself....

They rocked my world that night - but I must admit they're pretty cringe-worthy today. For a guy of Mike's musical pedigree (I'm picturing a record collection spread over several rooms) I'm surprised he still likes the Snake! But to each his own I guess

I saw Whitesnake when they opened for Motley Crue back in the Girls Girls Girls tour (87).
And let me tell you - they were no joke (then!)
Totally creamed Crue's ass - altho anyone who's seen them live knows that's not too difficult...

That Still of the Night lineup was like a who's who of rock gods - Vivian Campbell, Adrian Vandenberg, Rudy Sarzo, Tommy Aldridge and of course the man himself....

They rocked my world that night - but I must admit they're pretty cringe-worthy today. For a guy of Mike's musical pedigree (I'm picturing a record collection spread over several rooms) I'm surprised he still likes the Snake! But to each his own I guess

I so wanted to go to that show... But I missed getting tickets. I was so pissed.

I don't think 'Snake are cringe-worthy today, especially the lineup they have now. Even with Mike's "musical pedigree", I think the point is the guy has a really diverse, open-minded taste in music, and that's a big part of what makes his music so interesting.

Oh and I saw that tour back in '87 too. You're right, they demolished the Crue. Those were fun times back then.

Looking forward to seeing Whitesnake AND Opeth at Graspop next week :) Maybe Mike will bust out some "Slip Of The Tongue" riffs....I know you know 'em, man, hehe...

Oh and I saw that tour back in '87 too. You're right, they demolished the Crue. Those were fun times back then.

Yeah, it was cool to come of age at a time when metal actually ruled the world.
I'm 39 now - so the years 1983 and 84 were particularly fantastic for music. In those years, the following dropped:
- Quiet Riot - Metal Health
- Van Halen - 1984
- Ratt - Out of the Cellar
- Judas Priest - Defenders of the Faith
- Billy Idol - Rebel Yell
- Queensryche - The Warning
- Metallica - Ride the Lightning
- Motley Crue - Shout at the Devil
- Def Leppard - Pyromania...

.... And I could go on. Just back-to-back jaw-dropping albums during that period...

Yeah, it was cool to come of age at a time when metal actually ruled the world.
I'm 39 now - so the years 1983 and 84 were particularly fantastic for music. In those years, the following dropped:
- Quiet Riot - Metal Health
- Van Halen - 1984
- Ratt - Out of the Cellar
- Judas Priest - Defenders of the Faith
- Billy Idol - Rebel Yell
- Queensryche - The Warning
- Metallica - Ride the Lightning
- Motley Crue - Shout at the Devil
- Def Leppard - Pyromania...

.... And I could go on. Just back-to-back jaw-dropping albums during that period...

Funny, I'm a good five years younger than you, but I have always felt that 83/84 were the best years in my musical memory!

Funny, I'm a good five years younger than you, but I have always felt that 83/84 were the best years in my musical memory!

Dude - you must have had an older brother - or you reached musical puberty long before me!

I was like 14 or something when the 'golden age' began. In fact my first concert ever was VH's 1984 tour with Diamond Dave - still the best front-man who ever lived! :kickass:

Dude - you must have had an older brother - or you reached musical puberty long before me!

I was like 14 or something when the 'golden age' began. In fact my first concert ever was VH's 1984 tour with Diamond Dave - still the best front-man who ever lived! :kickass:

I had a friend who was 2 years older than me. But, still, I feel like all my classmates were listening to that stuff, too. I remember a controversy in my 4th grade class about whether or not Kevin DuBrow was singing "Girls fuck your boys" in Cum On Feel the Noize. I'm horrified to think that we wondered such things at 10...

I had a friend who was 2 years older than me. But, still, I feel like all my classmates were listening to that stuff, too. I remember a controversy in my 4th grade class about whether or not Kevin DuBrow was singing "Girls fuck your boys" in Cum On Feel the Noize. I'm horrified to think that we wondered such things at 10...

LOL, everybody sang it that way, just like in Billy Idol's cover of "Mony Mony", they all sang "get laid, get fucked" during the verses. That seemed to be the highlight of many a party I attended back in the day :Smug:

lol, 4th grade controversies.

whitesnake did actually do some great stuff before 1987 you know guys.

john lord on live in the heart of the city album DESTROYS

i had their entire discography up to 1987 on tape when i was 13.