Experimenting with Panning and whatnot.

Zak with OMG

Bringer of screams
Oct 11, 2009
Connersville, Indiana
Lately I've really had the urge to Pan everything. The more I listen to newer Mixes the more I've noticed panning is a HUGE part of production. Much larger than I ever thought. I didn't know that panning could liven up a mix so much. But I have a question....

This is how I see a mix....
MusicPanningScale.jpg

I really can't help it....It's just the way I've always imagined it. I'm starting to get this Idea that everything has its own place within this spectrum. Is this correct? Is this a healthy way to go about seeing this or am I missing something?

On a side note....Guitar panning?!?!? When I pan guitars I feel Like it really thins a tone out....Sometimes to the point where I have to pan it only so far. Any advice on how to remedy this?

I tend to stick mostly to L-C-R panning, and anything else like Pads or whatever will be doubled and panned symmetrically around the centre, maybe at most 40% out.
leads, Rhodes and other bits can be panned out a bit from the Centre.

I actually find "unbalanced" stereo fields to be really annoying to listen to. I much prefer to have the mix centred around a strong Mono core and panned symmetrically as much as possible.

If you are panning stuff around to clear up clutter and make space, its my guess that there is actually something more fundamental at fault that needs to be remedied first.

I tend to stick mostly to L-C-R panning, and anything else like Pads or whatever will be doubled and panned symmetrically around the centre, maybe at most 40% out.
leads, Rhodes and other bits can be panned out a bit from the Centre.

What are Rhodes? :)

I actually find "unbalanced" stereo fields to be really annoying to listen to. I much prefer to have the mix centred around a strong Mono core and panned symmetrically as much as possible.

I agree for the most part. But I'm trying to learn little tricks that have to do with panning....not just panning as a rule of mixing. For instance I heard this tom roll....and it rolled from left to right.....I felt like these things where rolling through one ear...through my brain and out the other. It was great.:kickass:

If you are panning stuff around to clear up clutter and make space, its my guess that there is actually something more fundamental at fault that needs to be remedied first.

That's not really the case...It's just that usually when I post mixes on here for review panning is always brought up....usually on guitar. I've actually posted a mix again after "fixing" my panning issue and people commented "much better." The funny thing is that the tone of a guitar "FOR ME" is really thinned out after I repost...But as long as it's panned correctly noboby seems to notice.

I actually find "unbalanced" stereo fields to be really annoying to listen to.

I agree, but sometimes I find it hard to avoid. I'm mixing something right now that has so much nonsense in it that I find the only thing to do is put shit out of the way of other shit in the stereo field so the song works.

But 99% of the time, hell yes I'm with you. :kickass:

What are Rhodes? :)

I agree for the most part. But I'm trying to learn little tricks that have to do with panning....not just panning as a rule of mixing. For instance I heard this tom roll....and it rolled from left to right.....I felt like these things where rolling through one ear...through my brain and out the other. It was great.:kickass:

That's not really the case...It's just that usually when I post mixes on here for review panning is always brought up....usually on guitar. I've actually posted a mix again after "fixing" my panning issue and people commented "much better." The funny thing is that the tone of a guitar "FOR ME" is really thinned out after I repost...But as long as it's panned correctly noboby seems to notice.

A Rhodes is an Electric Piano, lovely sounding instrument. :)
Like at 0.28 in this old tune of mine:
http://soundcloud.com/shanekilkelly/shanekilkelly-peacelovingsheep

with the Tom roll thing, its going to have that kind of a stereo image from the placement of the overheads, which is then supplemented by panning the Tom Mics to match where they are in the Over Heads.

Its more a result of the way the toms are laid out in the physical drum-kit than its is from panning.

Those kind of effects are cool for sure, but only as a one-off :)

as for panning thinning out the sound, its kinda (in an indirect way) the whole point of it.
you pan high-energy/low-frequency sounds to the centre, so they get to have both speakers providing power, whilst panning other instruments outwards, meaning that they get one speaker providing power, and basically thinning them out. its probably this effect that you are hearing, at a guess.

as for panning thinning out the sound, its kinda (in an indirect way) the whole point of it.
you pan high-energy/low-frequency sounds to the centre, so they get to have both speakers providing power, whilst panning other instruments outwards, meaning that they get one speaker providing power, and basically thinning them out. its probably this effect that you are hearing, at a guess.

:OMG::OMG::OMG::OMG::OMG::OMG:

WHY HAVE I NEVER REALIZED THAT?!?!?! What about vocals? What should I do with them in a panning sense?

:OMG::OMG::OMG::OMG::OMG::OMG:

WHY HAVE I NEVER REALIZED THAT?!?!?! What about vocals? What should I do with them in a panning sense?

Vocal, usually straight down the centre,
as they are (usually) the focus of the song.

Harmonies and other shit can be panned slightly out from the centre.

the general guideline is to keep the main stuff in the centre, so that's Kick, Snare , Bass and Vocals. they are all basically the most important elements of the song. the kick and snare are providing the bones of the beat, Bass is holding down the low end and the Vocals are usually what people are really listening out for.

the guitar is a midrange instrument anyway so it doesn't need to have a lot of power behind it, panning them out to the sides frees up space and energy in the centre for the vocals and snare to shine through, whilst giving them a bit of leg room to really strut around the place.

Vocal, usually straight down the centre,
as they are (usually) the focus of the song.

Harmonies and other shit can be panned slightly out from the centre.

the general guideline is to keep the main stuff in the centre, so that's Kick, Snare , Bass and Vocals. they are all basically the most important elements of the song. the kick and snare are providing the bones of the beat, Bass is holding down the low end and the Vocals are usually what people are really listening out for.

the guitar is a midrange instrument anyway so it doesn't need to have a lot of power behind it, panning them out to the sides frees up space and energy in the centre for the vocals and snare to shine through, whilst giving them a bit of leg room to really strut around the place.

Jesus....thanks so much man. Youve really cleared alot up. cheers.:kickass: