Extol - Take the Plunge

circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
[IMGLEFT]http://www.russell.ultimatemetal.com/Interview/extol.jpg[/IMGLEFT]By Jason Jordan

Not many bands legitimately breach the line between the Christian and secular realms without suffering as a result. So, it didn’t come as a shock when Extol announced the departure of their two, main songwriters shortly after the release of their Century Media Records debut in Synergy. Luckily, though, the resourceful Norwegians had two replacements waiting in the wings, and the former employed the latter for their latest excursion known as The Blueprint Dives, or Blueprint for short. I sat face-to-face with main vocalist Peter Espevoll, and chatted about the band, record labels, and miscellaneous happenings. Oh, and sorry WNxScythe, the future of Lengsel remains as cryptic as ever.

What does the name The Blueprint Dives mean or what does it signify?

Well, we wanted each song to be like a dive into a blueprint. A blueprint is like a sketch of something or a grid. For us, this blueprint is life, reality, truth, and we wanted each song to take a deep dive into life and display the way we see things. We don’t claim to see the full picture, but we just want to be honest and write lyrics about what we’ve seen. Topics like love and truth and everyday life –

Yeah, I know by reading over the lyrics that it seems like a heartfelt album, which is a lot more emotional than a lot of bands, especially Ole S.’s vocals on “Pearl” – really emotional.

Compared to Synergy – our last album – which was really technical thrash, we entered the studio and the songs weren’t even done. But we went into the studio and let our feelings, and the magic of creativity, take over. So, it’s a much more emotional album overall.

bioall.jpg

I was glad I got to talk with you, because you’ve been with the band…forever. How do you think the songwriting process has changed? On one end of the spectrum, you’ve got Ole B. and Christer, and on the other you’ve got Ole S. and Tor. How do you think it’s different between the two [line-ups]? Or is it different?

Yeah, in some ways it’s different. Extol has been a band that’s always wanted to write stuff together. Most of the songs have been made as a whole and not by one person, but on this new one there was even more unity than there’s been before. Both me and David and John, we participated in writing stuff as well – not only putting the parts together – but also writing stuff. I think the reason, why there was such unity, was we had only a short time before we had to go into the studio. We had like three months, and for us that’s short. There was pressure, but we got together every single day and rehearsed in the studio or at home with an 8-track recording device. And it was quite intense and we got really close. The new album is much more unified than before, even though that’s what we’ve always wanted to do. We’ve kind of reached the goal now of what we wanted to do. I think that’s really cool. Back in the day, especially Ole B., he always wrote a lot of stuff. It’s still the guitar players that write most, but it’s a much more collective thing now.

One thing I want to talk about is the vocals, which I’ve always enjoyed vocals like the thrash shout and the death metal vocals, but I’ve noticed with this one – which it was sort of a complaint with the last few albums – is that I wanted to hear more of Ole. It’s confusing because you guys have, like, two or three members named Ole. (laughs)

(laughs)

So, it’s really confusing to keep it straight, but I loved Ole B.’s vocals on Synergy. We get a lot of the new Ole’s vocals on Blueprint. Now was this a conscious decision, or did it just sort of happen?

For us it’s been a very natural development to do more clean vocals. And, on Synergy, Ole B. and I each sung half of the clean vocals, and it’s the same on Blueprint. I do half of the clean vocals, and Ole Sveen does the other half. But it’s been a very natural development for us to use clean vocals in our music.

I’ve noticed that The Blueprint Dives is more experimental in nature. I’d say – which this is just an observation – that two-thirds of the new record is an extension of Synergy, and the other third is very experimental like “Pearl,” “Another Adam’s Escape,” “Lost in Dismay,” and the eerie “The Death Sedative.” Are you worried you’re going to turn some of your older fans off by doing this experimental stuff?

I know we are. But it doesn’t worry me. We need to stay true to our hearts, and write the music that we feel is right. We truly, truly love our fans, and we wouldn’t be here without them today. We need to do our thing and I think we’re going to gain a lot of new fans as well. We might lose some as well, but it’s always like that when bands change. So I’m not worried about that at all.

Especially with being on Century Media. You have a lot more opportunities to get your stuff out there.

Yeah, definitely.

peter.jpg

I know you have something set up where Century Media handles the secular market, and Solid State handles the Christian market. How did that arrangement come about? Cause that’s pretty unusual.

It started in ’98 when we released our first album Burial. We were on a small, Swedish label called Endtime Productions, and they didn’t have a good distribution…not even in Europe. But for us it was a start just to get signed by a label. The label also said we just want to get your name up, and then someone else can take you. They wanted to help us build a name. Then we came to the U.S. for the first time in ’98, we brought our CD, the label guy was with us, and we played Cornerstone Festival – which is a huge Christian thing – and our label guy hooked up with the label manager of Tooth & Nail / Solid State and said you’ve got to see this band. He came out to our show and really loved it. And at that time we didn’t have any distribution in the U.S. at all, so we signed a deal with them, only a licensing deal. Then when Century Media signed us, they heard that we had a licensing deal on the Christian market in the U.S., and they saw some money in it. Some years ago, Christian kids didn’t go to the normal stores to get their CD’s. They only went to Christian bookstores. So, for CM, this was just a bonus, and for us as well. For me, I don’t like the idea of separating the market. I think it’s really, really strange. There’s not much we can do about it.

With this arrangement, you have Blueprint hitting Christian stores six weeks before anywhere else. Do you like that?

I think it’s strange. Still, it was released in Europe even before that.

Yeah, February 22nd.

Yeah, February. So if people wanted it here, they could order it from Europe anyway. That’s just how it is sometimes in the music industry. Things like this happen. And that really doesn’t bother me. What bothers me most is the separation – like this is the Christian scene and this is the general, or secular, scene. I think it’s really stupid.

It is, cause it works against bands that are decent bands trying to make their way in the music scene, and they get pigeonholed and get stuck. And some of the Christian record companies don’t have near the distribution that the larger labels like Century Media, Metal Blade, and all those places have.

ole.jpg

Luckily, Tooth & Nail and Solid State have really good distribution, because they have the EMI distribution service, and that’s really good. But for us it’s never been a problem to get stuck in the Christian scene since we’re now signed to Century Media. It’s more or less like a bonus to be on Solid State I guess.

It works out pretty well for a guy like me who knows what’s going on, and when your records are getting released where. I got it like six weeks – again, I could’ve ordered it from Europe – but I went ahead and waited for the domestic and got it six weeks before anyone else knew what was going on. It was pretty cool.

And the other cool thing about having it released at different places at different times is that you always get something new usually. On the Solid State version, it’s just the eleven songs I think, but on the Century Media it’s a bonus track plus the video for “Pearl.” That’s also a thing for record labels to sell more records.

I read something about some special, blue casing…

Yeah, that’s the limited European edition. Dark blue jewelcase.

Who knows what the Japanese are gonna get. (laughs)

Yeah. (laughs) We actually have one more song – you talked about the experimental stuff – like this is weirdest out of the experimental stuff. This song is just totally weird. Really sick.

Wow. I’ll have to check that out.

We’re working on a Japanese deal now, and I guess that song will be on there.

tor.jpg

So, who are you guys touring with right now?

We came to the U.S. a couple weeks ago. We had a couple of headline shows and a couple of festivals. We’ve been touring with Haste the Day and Embrace Today. And we’re touring with them for another week or so I think. Then we’re starting our headlining tour, which is going to run for like five or six weeks. We’re staying for three months, and our last four weeks are still being booked now. On the headlining tour, we’re having The Showdown, Becoming the Archetype, and Winter Solstice.

That’s a good line-up. Why aren’t you guys touring with labelmates? I mean, I guess you are because Becoming the Archetype just got signed [to Solid State] and The Showdown have the Bruce Fitzhugh (ex-Living Sacrifice) connection and all that good stuff.

Well, I don’t know. I don’t know why. It just hasn’t been that way. Many of the tours were already booked for the summer, but I think the last four weeks we’re here, we might end up with a bigger band, but we’re not sure. It’s good for us to do a large amount of headlining shows just to build up the fanbase even more. The headlining shows go through Florida, Texas, and California, where we’ve played a lot before. And we know we have a lot of fans there.

Plus, you have the experience and the number of albums that would warrant a headlining spot. I think there are good and bad ramifications for touring the U.S. in the summer. It’s a big country, there’s a lot of driving, a lot of bands are already on tour, and a lot of bands have booked festivals. So, it’s a tough road to go in the U.S.

We’ve done it before, and it’s hard work. After a while, you can see that it pays off and it’s really rewarding.

john.jpg

I read about tomorrow night [May 4th]. Your show is canceled?

Yeah, but I think we have another show in Dayton [OH].

That’s good. I was going to ask you what you were going to do with the day off. So, you picked up another show then. I want to switch gears just a little bit, and ask you about any side projects you might be working on.

Actually, I don’t have any side projects. This line-up, that we have in Extol now, is the same we had for a band called Ganglion, which is more like a rock-oriented thing. I do a lot of acoustic pop/jazzy kind of stuff. I really want to record an album soon. I just need to find the time to do it. Hopefully this year, if we find the time before Christmas, I think I will try to record some stuff then. Now for us, though, it’s just mainly focusing on Extol. The other guys used to have a black metal band called Lengsel.

I wanted to ask about that too. (laughs) Do you know what’s going on with that? I heard rumors that, after this tour, maybe there would be some time to record something…

Rumors, there are always rumors about Lengsel. I don’t know what to say.

(laughs) Like no comment.

They’ll have to answer for themselves.

Everyone’s anticipating a new record from them. I really loved Solace, and I know a bunch of the board members from UltimateMetal really like it too. I always found it strange – Extol’s a big name – that the side projects are really underground like Ganglion. I think you all released, what, a 7”?

Yeah, a 7” and an EP.

Those are pretty hard to find, and Lengsel is if you don’t go through Tooth & Nail. Why do think that this is like that? Why do you think those are underground if Extol’s a big name?

It’s because Extol has always been the band that’s been focused on. Before they joined Extol, they had Lengsel, but the Solace album was recorded in ’97, and after that they actually quit or changed names to Ganglion. And me and David started, so Ganglion was kind of like the new Lengsel. We changed styles so much, and we really tried to focus on getting Ganglion up, but it was just too hard having two bands at the time, cause everybody was working full-time. We hadn’t been touring much with those bands.

david.jpg

I read somewhere that David and another member or two are involved in a thrash project called Absurd2.

Yeah, David and my brother Christer. They have another project that’s technical thrash.

That was released on Endtime also, wasn’t it?

Yes. That’s right. I think they might do something with that as well, but all of this is just when we have time outside of Extol.

I’d also heard that Christer is in another band.

Yeah, Benea Reach. Ever heard of a band called Selfmindead?

I’ve got both those…what were they?

At the Barricades We Fall –

And Selfmindead right? I liked those a lot.

You should check out Benea Reach whenever they get a deal, cause they’re really good. It’s amazing and fits my brother really well.

I was sad to see him go. I had liked him before when I had seen him in concert, and all the stuff he did for you guys.

It was a little bit weird having Christer in the band, because David is our cousin. So, it was the three of us that started this band eleven years ago, and then suddenly, he was gone. It all worked out for the best, though, for everybody.

Good bloodline. (laughs)

(laughs) Our grandfather – he was a musician.

Well, any last words for UltimateMetal readers or anything you want to say before we wrap up?

I just want to thank all of the fans supporting us. We really, really appreciate it and hope everyone takes time to take a deep dive into Blueprint. Come see us at our shows, come talk to us, we’re looking forward to it.

All right. Listen to Extol.

Live photographs to appear at a later date. All current photographs courtesy of official websites.

UltimateMetal’s Review of Extol – The Blueprint Dives
Official Extol Website
Official Century Media Records Website
Official Solid State Records Website

Erik said:
Trivium, Extol and Crimson Moonlight, wow you sure got some QUALITY HEAVY FUCKING METAL INTERVIEWS GOING THERE

I'd take your comment somewhat seriously if I didn't know that you despise Christianity. At any rate, thrash till death! Lethal fo life yo. :kickass:

;)

Circus thanks for asking about Lengsel man! Really appreciate it :). A shame there's no new info :(

WNxScythe said:
Circus thanks for asking about Lengsel man! Really appreciate it :). A shame there's no new info :(

No problem! I had you in mind when I asked that particular question, as well as myself. ;)

Lengsel NEED to record a second album. They should just confirm or deny the band and stop keeping the fans in limbo.