ez drummer and protools

MetalSir

Nov 17, 2008
hi guyz.. i used ezdrummer for lots of years with nuendo and now i'm moving to protools.. i'm finding huge difficulties on PT's midi editor...

in nuendo i have the NAME of each piece of the drumkit close to the piano keys.. here an image:
Cubase_LE-20090126-071234.jpg

is possible to get the same visualization with PT? i really need the names.. i don't use any midi keyboard and working dragging a midi note in trough the midi editor to find the right sound is impossible.. =|

really tks a lot!

lol it's imppossible! the most powerful recording software and i NEED to use a TXT file like this for a drum map????

21 Pedal Chick
22 Closed Edge
23 Foot Splash
24 Open 1
25 Open 2
26 Open 3
27 China 2 Crashed
28 CRide 1 Crashed
29 China 3 Crashed
30 Splash 2 Crashed
31 Splash 3 Crashed
32 CRide 2 Crashed
33 Snare Left
34 Left
35 alias
36 Kick
37 Sidestick
38 Right
39 Ruff
40 Snare Rimshot
41 Floor T2 Head
42 GM Closed HH
43 Floor T1 Head
44 GM HH Pedal
45 Rack T3 Head
46 GM Open HH
47 Rack T2 Head
48 Rack T1 Head
49 GM Crash A
50 Rack T1 alias
51 Ride Bow
52 Gm Chinese
53 Ride Bell
54 CrashA Muted
55 Gm Splash
56 Ride Bell
57 GM Crash B
58 Crash B Muted
59 Ride Edge
60 Hats Open Max
65 Hats Closed Edge
69 Flam
70 Head
71 Snare Sidestick
72 Head
73 Floor T2 Flam
74 Head
75 Floor T1 Flam
76 Special Crescendo
77 Head
78 Rack T3 Flam
79 Head
80 Rack T2 Flam
81 Head
82 Rack T1 Flam
83 CrackA Muted
84 Bow
85 Bell
86 Edge
87 Crescendo
88 alias
89 Bow
90 Bell
91 Edge
92 CRide1 Crescendo
93 China Bow
94 alias
95 Crash A Muted
96 Bow
97 Bell
98 Edge
99 alias
100 alias
101 Bow
102 Bell
103 Edge
104 Ride Bow
105 China Bow
106 alias
107 Crash B Muted
108 Bow
109 Bell
110 Edge
111 alias
112 alias
113 Bow
114 Bell
115 Edge
116 CRide 2 Bow
117 China Bow
118 Crash B Muted

please TELL ME that i'm WRONG.

No it's totally possible, but it's a bit of a work around.

I really wish I could remember the thread because I don't think I'm gonna do a good job explaining it. Once you set it up though save it as a template because it's not something you want to setup every time.

Hold on I'll see if I can locate the thread.

This doesn't sound like a good solution to me. It would work fine if you're witting drum parts from scratch in PT but what if you're importing MIDI from a score editor or MIDI loop library? Or have I missed something?

This doesn't sound like a good solution to me. It would work fine if you're witting drum parts from scratch in PT but what if you're importing MIDI from a score editor or MIDI loop library? Or have I missed something?
you got it. i have a midi composed used the EZ drummer and edited step by step from me to sound "original"..

i'm really getting mad dudez..

Your finding out first hand unfortunately why editing midi in cubase is worlds better than editing midi in pro tools.

I refuse to even fucking do it (I have pro tools and cubase), it's cubase or nothing for me when doing midi.
i have an original cubase LE (sold with my presonus interface).. do you think that there is the OSX version in the cd (i dunno wtf is that cd.......)?

Editing midi is just fine in Pro Tools. I've never needed to have the kit pieces written on the keyboard. I just check the mapping tab in superior, and go find the note I need on the keyboard. Not that hard bro. Takes literally 5 seconds.

Does ezdrummer have a tab you can look at for quickly checking where the notes are mapped?

Editing midi is just fine in Pro Tools. I've never needed to have the kit pieces written on the keyboard. I just check the mapping tab in superior, and go find the note I need on the keyboard. Not that hard bro. Takes literally 5 seconds.

Does ezdrummer have a tab you can look at for quickly checking where the notes are mapped?
mm.. i have an m-audio master key but not here, i'm away for recording an album (not mine) in a different country from mine..

and without a master k i have exactly 99 different sound on 99 main different notes on the keyboard. if we consider that ALL the pieces of the drumkit are 19 you can almost easily understand that i have other 80 different "modes" on the other key.. i.e. the snare have 4 or 5 main different key, one for rimshot, one for the edge, one for the flam and so on.. the same is for the ride cymbal that have bell (on one key), edge (on another key), and so on..

this mean that if you have to write a drum line you need to memorize 99 different location of the map, or just use snare and kick and that's it.. and this is NOT my case..

yes man, i'm getting mad.

Haha. I just drag a note until it's what I want and 5 minutes in I have the map memorized. There is no doubt that the cubendo way is better but I've never had a problem either.

Haha. I just drag a note until it's what I want and 5 minutes in I have the map memorized. There is no doubt that the cubendo way is better but I've never had a problem either.
cool memory.. i can't remember MY songs, that i play for 10 years.. =|

mm.. i have an m-audio master key but not here, i'm away for recording an album (not mine) in a different country from mine..

and without a master k i have exactly 99 different sound on 99 main different notes on the keyboard. if we consider that ALL the pieces of the drumkit are 19 you can almost easily understand that i have other 80 different "modes" on the other key.. i.e. the snare have 4 or 5 main different key, one for rimshot, one for the edge, one for the flam and so on.. the same is for the ride cymbal that have bell (on one key), edge (on another key), and so on..

this mean that if you have to write a drum line you need to memorize 99 different location of the map, or just use snare and kick and that's it.. and this is NOT my case..

yes man, i'm getting mad.

I'm not saying you need a real keyboard man. If ez drummer has a mapping window like superior, it's super easy to tell where the notes are. The main kick and snare are always c1 and d1. I just know where the main toms and kick and snare are at. If I want to find a different thing, like the ride bell or something, you can right click on the cymbal in superior. the mapping tab highlights the key. if it's d-sharp 2, then you look to the keyboard on the left of the midi editor, go to d-sharp 2, and place the note.

If you have the mapping window, or at least a sheet showing all the keyboard mapping, it only takes a second to place it in the midi editor. I know it would be a bit easier if it were all named, but as long as you know how to find notes on a keyboard it's pretty fast.

I've never had much of an issue with it, at least.

If just reading the notes on the midi editors keyboard thing is confusing, I'm sure we can help out with that.

I'm not saying you need a real keyboard man. If ez drummer has a mapping window like superior, it's super easy to tell where the notes are. The main kick and snare are always c1 and d1. I just know where the main toms and kick and snare are at. If I want to find a different thing, like the ride bell or something, you can right click on the cymbal in superior. the mapping tab highlights the key. if it's d-sharp 2, then you look to the keyboard on the left of the midi editor, go to d-sharp 2, and place the note.

If you have the mapping window, or at least a sheet showing all the keyboard mapping, it only takes a second to place it in the midi editor. I know it would be a bit easier if it were all named, but as long as you know how to find notes on a keyboard it's pretty fast.

I've never had much of an issue with it, at least.

If just reading the notes on the midi editors keyboard thing is confusing, I'm sure we can help out with that.
no man.. in PT9 if i click on a cymbal NOTHING highlights on the mapping windows. if i click on the mapping keyb in the EZ windows the related piece highlights (you know, in the image of the drumkit), but not the vice-versa..