F5 - "The Reconing" (David Ellefson's band)

Virgil.

¯\(°_o)/¯
Jul 12, 2005
Seattle, WA
Has anyone heard the new F5 album "The Reckoning"? Sounds a lot better than their first album and a better effort from Dave and the rest of his band. I'm not TOO fond of the vocals, but the guitar tone, Jimmy DeGrasso's drumming, the writing and everything sounds great (imo). What does anyone else think about the tone, production, etc?

Blabbermouth article (w/ Music Video for "The Reckoning") -
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=104214

F5 myspace page -
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=43990791

Amazon link (30 second clips from each song) -
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0007LQ1PU/rateyourmusic-20/ref=nosim/

:headbang:

EDIT: The guitar tone sounds fucking amazing. Period. Screw the haters. I'm actually really enjoying this. Especially the single "The Reckoning". Helllz Yes!

I think one of my old bands wrote the intro riff to The Reckoning before. That was our first time being in a band too...

I think I wrote the intro to Megadeth's "symphony of destruction" before too, in my first band too! What a coincidence! We're like, amazing!! :Smug:

Definitely a local band vibe to the video. I wish I'd just heard the song by itself first, then maybe it would have made a better impression. Seems to me like Jr.'s over the "signed touring band" thing and is just doing this for fun. He's got a pretty sweet gig with Peavey these days...

I do like parts of the song, although I think it could use more layers of vocals, keys, alternate guitar parts, and some song structure refinement, but that's just my taste I guess. Clearly a talented band with a meat-and-potatoes approach to arrangement and production.

Honestly, I'd rather buy their new album over the new Metallica album any day. It's sad that a local band can put together something that sounds more badass than the new Metallica album -- both in terms of writing and production.

Honestly, I'd rather buy their new album over the new Metallica album any day. It's sad that a local band can put together something that sounds more badass than the new Metallica album -- both in terms of writing and production.

I have no idea how you can say that. The riffs on the DM is a thousand times more original than this. It's ridicoulus. That intro riff sounds like something a ten-year old would write as his first song, and I'm dead serious about that. I am in shock on how anyone but a real amatuer would try to pass that off as a riff. And none of the other riffs are much better. The vocals are okay yeah, but still very very bland.

I'm not trying to rub my opinion in your face or anything, but I got a bit upset when one the reasons I like the new Metallica is becuse the riffing is pretty damn original. And as I said, when I first heard "The Reckoning" it pretty much stunned me how anyone could even put that in a song. There are already about nine billion riffs that sound EXACTLY like that. It's like painting a picture of a fruit bowl.

But anyway, yeah sorry I just got fired up about what you said. I'll shut up now!

I have no idea how you can say that. The riffs on the DM is a thousand times more original than this. It's ridicoulus. That intro riff sounds like something a ten-year old would write as his first song, and I'm dead serious about that. I am in shock on how anyone but a real amatuer would try to pass that off as a riff. And none of the other riffs are much better. The vocals are okay yeah, but still very very bland.

I'm not trying to rub my opinion in your face or anything, but I got a bit upset when one the reasons I like the new Metallica is becuse the riffing is pretty damn original. And as I said, when I first heard "The Reckoning" it pretty much stunned me how anyone could even put that in a song. There are already about nine billion riffs that sound EXACTLY like that. It's like painting a picture of a fruit bowl.

But anyway, yeah sorry I just got fired up about what you said. I'll shut up now!

:lol:

I'm glad you like DM. Good for you. I don't like it, so that's why I made my comments. It's all good. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

So far, from all the replies i've seen, it seems like i'm the only one that likes them. That's fine. I just hope you judged the band based on their other songs instead of just the "The Reckoning" single.

So far, from all the replies i've seen, it seems like i'm the only one that likes them. That's fine. I just hope you judged the band based on their other songs instead of just the "The Reckoning" single.

It's not that I don't like them, I think they sound pretty cool and I will give the record a chance.

Maybe they hope their sound is "refreshing"

istockphoto_502761_f5_key_refresh.jpg

:headbang::lol:

F5 mission is "to be heavy but always melodic".

Hmmm, I think they might be only going to appeal to a very niche market then....

There is some nice lead playing in 'No Excuse', but as other's have said; I'm pretty sure every metal band ever has written that intro riff to Reckoning, and unfortunately it is usually after only playing guitar for ten minutes.

I'm also confused as to why they appear to label themselves progressive? Unless of course "progressive" now refers to standard-structured verse/chorus songs with one key, one tempo and all in 4/4.

It's not bad, but I'd file it under "listenable" rather than relevant or ground-breaking.

Sounds pretty generic to me. The first thing I thought was that the intro riff of "The Reckoning" sounds like the verse riff of Metallica's cover of "Blitzkrieg"? By now, that riff has been copied so many times. Ughh. Some of the other songs riffs and lead playing are good but the vox kill it for me.