Facebook buys Oculus Rift

Let it be known, this will be the next big thing in VR: http://www.cyberith.com/en/virtualizer
In a couple of years you'll be able to say that you knew about that thing early on. You can thank me then. ;)

As much as I love the idea of VR taking off, I just don't ever see it happening. Between cost,and clunky interfaces, I can't see how it'll ever get any widespread appeal.

Kind of reminds me of 3d TV or at least the previous/current generation of it. At first it was the coolest thing ever, until you realize that everyone has to have a pair of the glasses. Friends comes over to watch a movie and you're a pair of glasses short? oh too bad, guess someone can't watch it. I feel the same thing with VR. While it's cool to have something like the Rift or that thing you linked above, their market is basically a single gamer, and a fairly devote one at that.

Maybe I'm just incredibly biased cause I've been seeing this sort of tech promises since the 90s when I played a VR version of doom at a trade show(coincidentally with a very similar interface to the tech you linked above minus the moving floor thing). At first it was the greatest thing in the world, but it got old really really really fast.

What the fuck do I know.

I think there is a market for hyper realism but there is some question as to whether this form factor will appeal to people. The hype around OR at GDC was pretty intense but I think it's strength is it's weakness: immersion. Not everyone wants to game in an isolation chamber and I have questions about the effects of using VR for hours at a time (as gamers will). Also, every major tech magazine has done a piece about how mobile is killing the console (and the AAA title in general). What this means is that the way people are gaming is fundamentally shifting.

As much as I love the idea of VR taking off, I just don't ever see it happening. Between cost,and clunky interfaces, I can't see how it'll ever get any widespread appeal.

Kind of reminds me of 3d TV or at least the previous/current generation of it. At first it was the coolest thing ever, until you realize that everyone has to have a pair of the glasses. Friends comes over to watch a movie and you're a pair of glasses short? oh too bad, guess someone can't watch it. I feel the same thing with VR. While it's cool to have something like the Rift or that thing you linked above, their market is basically a single gamer, and a fairly devote one at that.

Maybe I'm just incredibly biased cause I've been seeing this sort of tech promises since the 90s when I played a VR version of doom at a trade show(coincidentally with a very similar interface to the tech you linked above minus the moving floor thing). At first it was the greatest thing in the world, but it got old really really really fast.

What the fuck do I know.

I'll take that you never tried the Oculus.

Making games/movies hyper-realistic defeats the entire purpose to me.

It's about immersion not realism.

I can't wait to be enraged by bands inviting me to shows from across the globe

IN 3D!

COME TO OUR SHOW

lawnmowerman2.jpg

Weren't they touting this sort of shit in the 90's? I remember it looked pretty much identical.

It seems to have progressed about as much as voice recognition software :lol:

There were actually a console, can't remember its name, that was basically a mirror based oculus. Only something like 17 games were developed, most of them shit except castlevania and I believe doom. It never found it's market and disappeared right away, I'm guessing this is the console you tried back then, CFH

It's about immersion not realism.

This:

Not everyone wants to game in an isolation chamber

Granted I am most definitely not a gamer and don't even own a console, but the point of playing games for me isn't to be immersed into another world or experience it in hyper-reality; it's the same reason I can't get into 3D movies, it being a bit divorced from my own reality is where I derive virtually all of the joy from.

This is quite worrying and no doubt shits on most of the backers Oculus gained during the Kickstarter fundraiser. Oculus can defend what they did using any sugar-coated words they wish, but as much as I hate using the term, they completely and utterly sold out.

I guess the 2 billion dollars (as opposed to the 19 billion they paid for Whatsapp) simply sounded good enough for Oculus to just forget about everything they had been promising to the people for the last 2 years - the people who had funded them all the way up to 2 million dollars to begin with. I'll smear my face all over with dog turds if even half of those people who funded are fine with this shit.

As much as we know about Facebook and Zuckerberg at this point, it'll come as no surprise to anybody that they'll look upon this as just another opportunity to further conquer more platforms where former Facebook users are now fleeing to. Just what good is to become of a partnership such as this? VR talks with your friends? VR bikini photos of that girl you stalk on facebook? VR farmville?

It's all they know at Facebook, unless they really have something cooking under the covers. Please prove me wrong - I truly and honestly had high hopes for the Oculus Rift, but those hopes are now gone.

Granted I am most definitely not a gamer and don't even own a console, but the point of playing games for me isn't to be immersed into another world or experience it in hyper-reality; it's the same reason I can't get into 3D movies, it being a bit divorced from my own reality is where I derive virtually all of the joy from.

If the point of games for you isn't to be immersed into another world, then don't worry - the Oculus Rift isn't created for someone like you. Nor are any actually good games.

If the point of games for you isn't to be immersed into another world, then don't worry - the Oculus Rift isn't created for someone like you. Nor are any actually good games.

Give me a break. Lot's of great games don't require or strive for total immersion. In fact in large measure you're limited to extreme budget AAA's if that's how you define "good." It's not to say great immersive games aren't made more cheaply (TGC reliably cranks them out) but most indies set their sites differently.

The other thing is that tieing Oculus to a rock solid financial foundation may be just the push needed to make it a dev platform worth pursuing for the EA's, 2k's, and Ubi's of the world.

Give me a break. Lot's of great games don't require or strive for total immersion. In fact in large measure you're limited to extreme budget AAA's if that's how you define "good."

Just for the sake of argument, how would you define a "great game that doesn't require immersion?"

The other thing is that tieing Oculus to a rock solid financial foundation may be just the push needed to make it a dev platform worth pursuing for the EA's, 2k's, and Ubi's of the world. It's not to say great immersive games aren't made more cheaply (TGC reliably cranks them out) but most indies set their sites differently.

That's what I'm hoping for. It is a solid financial foundation for Oculus, yes, however coming from a wrong branch of media business altogether. There's games on Facebook, right, but does that really count for anything...? Plus, it's not like they even developed the actual games.

In short, I'm just worried about their motives. They did say it'll be games for the Oculus Rift first, and then all that other shit... But on my list of trustworthy companies, Facebook is far from the top lot, I'm sorry to say.

Basically, I consider immersive games character driven narratives that make the character feel like the exist with the world of the game. In general, this requires a great concept, great acting (if any), great writing and graphics solid enough to not detract from the previously mentioned elements. Even though they don't follow statement, simulators and racing games obviously count too. Games categories I would exclude from this entirely (or almost) are mobile games, puzzle games, fighting games, casual games, mmorts, and trivia games. Obviously there are exceptions.

The company definitely suffers from a perception issue. Its very different than it appears from the outside though. The 2 other major acquisitions by FB; Instagram and Whatsapp have both been left alone. They haven't fucked with them, basically just given them more money and access to resources. Here's the reddit thread with Palmer Luckey: http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/21cy9n/the_future_of_vr/cgby5hj?context=3

In short, I'm just worried about their motives. They did say it'll be games for the Oculus Rift first, and then all that other shit... But on my list of trustworthy companies, Facebook is far from the top lot, I'm sorry to say.