Facebook sucks balls now

Hey guys....this has been quite insightful.

I tried a couple of things. And thank you to Jen for being just awesome.

I posted a few VERY short, simple TEXT questions over the past couple of days.

One question was: Best Black Sabbath singer: Dio or Ozzy? That simple text question received 10,000 views- no shit. and I think close to 100 responses.

I experimented with a few others and this has already raised the algorithm thingy and my other "spam" posts get much more views. Plus I use the tiny URL for the campaign link.

I love the activity with the fans, and our Indiegogo campaign is at $600.00 in two days. Maybe we will have fuel for the Fates Warning tour. Thanks for the help Jen, and everyone else. I will keep experimenting.

Yep, that totally works as you expect, but you are in a tiny minority. A similar tactic has been for page owners to convince their likers to enable announcements (lighting up the earth icon) for their page.

Vast majority of FB users won't bother to maintain such customizations of their Facebook habits; compared to the impulsive clicking of a "Like" button and just scrolling the newsfeed, the user experience is just too cumbersome for most. Even if they do and the content from a page is spammy or uninteresting, they'll just unsubscribe.

That's a shame as it works well....I did the lists mainly to separate those I interact with a lot, family, band, tv show info, pics, travel info and such otherwise just too overwhelming...and it makes it easier to keep up with to some extent. Only took an hour or so and as one adds people or pages it is easy to assign on the go.

As for announcements....I do that for a hand full of pages turning some on and off as needed otherwise that can get really insane.....lol.

I will keep experimenting.

Good plan. Final suggestion: dial back the posting (but not the commenting) frequency. There's no right number, every page community has its own sweet spot, but IMO you are currently too far on the spammy side of it.

Remember to watch your new likes vs unlikes numbers as you experiment.

Good plan. Final suggestion: dial back the posting (but not the commenting) frequency. There's no right number, every page community has its own sweet spot, but IMO you are currently too far on the spammy side of it.

Remember to watch your new likes vs unlikes numbers as you experiment.

Yeppers, I am dialing....

Thanks to Jen for the links and to all who have offered “food for thought”.

This thread is of personal interest, as I admin a FB page for a very small non-profit. A couple of months ago, our reach literally dropped off a cliff to about 25% of prior stats, with no change in posting method. I usually post/share once or twice per weekday -- a combination of news articles, photos, announcements, and the occasional goofy picture or video. Don’t know if this was a change in FB’s algorithm or what. When I travel to a physician conference or to host a patient education event, I usually put together an album with a few photos of the local scenery. These used to get HUGE response, but the last couple of photo albums have had much lower reach.

Our organization wants to make sure that we put out good information for patients, but it’s usually the oddball stuff that gets the most attention. Article on a new clinical study? Yawn. Reference information from a well-respected medical institution? Whatever. Little old lady road rage video clip? Jackpot. :rolleyes:

Here is an update if anyone is interested. Jen's ideas definitely helped get the word out.

Last edited by a moderator:
We just made our goal for the Indiegogo campaign thanks to Jim Wilkinson putting us over the top, and we still have three weeks left. Thanks to all who have contributed thus far and thanks again to Jen for the tips. What a great, supportive community we have here.

Our campaign is here: http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/artizan-fuel-our-fate and we WILL have the fuel for the Fates Warning tour now :D

At the time of this post, we have about 66 hours left in our Indiegogo campaign. Thanks to those that have contributed we are almost at $2,000 and are over our goal. If anyone is holding out, now would be a fantastic time to help us with a stretch goal of 2k. The limited edtition 'I fueled the tour' shirt is really nice and we hope to sell more of those.

The campaign is here: http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/artizan-fuel-our-fate

Thanks again and we hope to see you somewhere between Houston and Seattle over the next two weeks!

1176124_10151860915769725_1715627963_n.jpg