Fair to Midland, Periphery, Scale the Summit March/April 2011 Tour

Its odd that both your examples are the two songs with arguably the fewest harsh vocals. Don't get me wrong, I like the band (and those two songs in particular), but it doesn't do their music justice overall.

The other half of the album is filled with stuff like this (so you could expect to hear a few of these songs live as well):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ctk_lZ6myjg

not to mention my personal favorite off the album

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydbpNsxVSAA&feature=BF&list=ML4oVf-d_DwKC8ebl1E0188TUnCIo2xkGt&index=6[/ame]

Its odd that both your examples are the two songs with arguably the fewest harsh vocals. Don't get me wrong, I like the band (and those two songs in particular), but it doesn't do their music justice overall.

The other half of the album is filled with stuff like this (so you could expect to hear a few of these songs live as well):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ctk_lZ6myjg

Maybe it's because those are my favorite songs by them and I feel that their more techy songs are their weakest?

That's probably my favorite song off the album. That or "Letter Experiment".

"Jetpacks Was Yes" and "All New Materials" are like straight Animals as Leaders with vocals. That's probably my one big complaint about the djent scene. Plagiarism. But I guess that happens in any genre (but its so blatantly obvious in those two songs).

However, I'm most definitely a hypocrite since I love the TesseracT sound and its clearly straight off the intro to "Immerse" by FellSilent. At least in TesseracT's defense, the key songwriter is from FellSilent (so maybe its not plagiarism at all). In any case, "Immerse" by FellSilent is probably one of my favorite djent songs out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's probably my favorite song off the album. That or "Letter Experiment".

"Jetpacks Was Yes" and "All New Materials" are like straight Animals as Leaders with vocals. That's probably my one big complaint about the djent scene. Plagiarism. But I guess that happens in any genre (but its so blatantly obvious in those two songs).

Except these songs were written way before AAL, and Bulb produced and helped write for AAL... In the recent AAL thread I mentioned that Tosin's stuff generally copies what Bulb is trying to do and has been trying to do for a decade now. Certainly, Tosin's work in Reflux sounds nothing like AAL. That being said, although the general style is copied from Bulb, there's no actual plagiarism going on whatsoever. That's simply untrue.

However, I'm most definitely a hypocrite since I love the TesseracT sound and its clearly straight off the intro to "Immerse" by FellSilent. At least in TesseracT's defense, the key songwriter is from FellSilent (so maybe its not plagiarism at all). In any case, "Immerse" by FellSilent is probably one of my favorite djent songs out there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXUFn6TxITA

See above.

Well Misha "Bulb" Mansoor does stuff for several people / bands, so obviously projects he's had a hand in are going to have similarities. While you mention Monsoor wrote his songs first, Animals as Leaders managed to release their album before Periphery. I'm not a lawyer, so I don't know the intricacies that go into these things, but on an album basis: AAL released their album, and then Periphery comes out with an album with what I'd consider "close imitation" of the material written on the AAL album. While Bulb may have written his first, someone who purchases both albums on release date are going to jump to my conclusion. Again, I guess it comes down to opinion on the similarities, but I'd consider it close imitation, which (if you actually looked up the word) is indeed plagiarism.

The two bands produce extremely similar stuff. Its annoying. That's my point.

As for your point about TesseracT and FellSilent, the difference here is that Acle Kahney of TesseracT was IN FellSilent while Misha Mansoor isn't IN Animals as Leaders (even if he did write some of the music). FellSilent no longer exists but AAL and Periphery exist concurrently. I guess this too is a matter of opinion.

Well Misha "Bulb" Mansoor does stuff for several people / bands, so obviously projects he's had a hand in are going to have similarities.

If it's so obvious to you, what's the point in posting it? Where's the value in your whining about the genre having alot of similar sounding bands if you understand that sometimes scenes influence eachother? I feel as though Tosin has been massively ripping off Bulb's style, but I don't think that the entire genre is ripping itself off like you seem to feel.

While you mention Monsoor wrote his songs first, Animals as Leaders managed to release their album before Periphery.

Okay, and Bulb posted his songs online all over the internet years before both AAL and the Periphery debut full length, so again, what's your point?

'm not a lawyer, so I don't know the intricacies that go into these things,

You most certainly are not, otherwise you'd know plagiarism is taking credit for someone else's work. Nobody in any of the bands you mentioned have committed this. ;)

AAL released their album, and then Periphery comes out with an album with what I'd consider "close imitation" of the material written on the AAL album. While Bulb may have written his first, someone who purchases both albums on release date are going to jump to my conclusion. Again, I guess it comes down to opinion on the similarities, but I'd consider it close imitation, which (if you actually looked up the word) is indeed plagiarism.

So yeah, like I said, it'd probably do you justice to actually understand what plagiarism is instead of making assumptions and claims you cannot back up. Even more ironic is that you're calling me out on not knowing what plagiarism is but yet you've misused it every time. Bulb is credited on the AAl album as producer and co-writer... it's not plagiarism... Tosin copying Bulb's style? I agree. Plagiarism... no. There is no unauthorized credit-taking being done here...

Someone who purchases both of those albums are going to jump to your conclusion, but that doesn't make you or those people right. I mean, you DO realize how ridiculous that argument is right man? It's like saying I should ignore the scientific community because I grew up as a kid being taught that Pluto was a planet. Yeah, I CAN ignore facts, but it's mighty ridiculous. The historical fact is that Bulb has been doing this kind of stuff far longer than Tosin has. When Bulb was doing the djent thing, Tosin was playing in a Killswitch-ish metalcore band called Reflux.

The two bands produce extremely similar stuff. Its annoying. That's my point.

Quite literally since I just said, Bulb produced and co-wrote on that AAL album. In fact, when they first signed to Prosthetic, their Myspace page had Bulb listed as a session member of the band. Now that they have a full time lineup, that is not the case.

As for your point about TesseracT and FellSilent, the difference here is that Acle Kahney of TesseracT was IN FellSilent while Misha Mansoor isn't IN Animals as Leaders (even if he did write some of the music). FellSilent no longer exists but AAL and Periphery exist concurrently. I guess this too is a matter of opinion.

See above

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel as though Tosin has been massively ripping off Bulb's style, but I don't think that the entire genre is ripping itself off like you seem to feel.

Really...? There are more djent "bands" out there than AAL / Periphery and FellSilent offspring. If you don't think the majority of the scene is ripping stuff "straight" from Meshuggah, then you haven't heard much djent. And I'm not the only one who feels that way...

Okay, and Bulb posted his songs online all over the internet years before both AAL and the Periphery debut full length, so again, what's your point?

Hold up while I scroll up and find my point. Oh right, it was that the AAL album was released before the Periphery one. Yup, says it right there.

You most certainly are not, otherwise you'd know plagiarism is taking credit for someone else's work. Nobody in any of the bands you mentioned have committed this. ;)

So yeah, like I said, it'd probably do you justice to actually understand what plagiarism is instead of making assumptions and claims you cannot back up. Even more ironic is that you're calling me out on not knowing what plagiarism is but yet you've misused it every time. Bulb is credited on the AAl album as producer and co-writer... it's not plagiarism... Tosin copying Bulb's style? I agree. Plagiarism... no. There is no unauthorized credit-taking being done here...

You remind me of high school when this kid walked in with an essay written completely by someone else (from one of those pay for an essay websites) and then thought it was OK since he put the entire thing in quotes.

It's like saying I should ignore the scientific community because I grew up as a kid being taught that Pluto was a planet.

Don't fuck with Pluto. This is another topic in itself and I'm not going there (I get into enough engineering vs science debates at work).

Quite literally since I just said, Bulb produced and co-wrote on that AAL album. In fact, when they first signed to Prosthetic, their Myspace page had Bulb listed as a session member of the band. Now that they have a full time lineup, that is not the case.
Sooooooooooo.... we agree? :err:

If both the Periphery and AAL debut's were combined and then randomly reordered, I wouldn't think twice about them being just one band.

Really...? There are more djent "bands" out there than AAL / Periphery and FellSilent offspring. If you don't think the majority of the scene is ripping stuff "straight" from Meshuggah, then you haven't heard much djent. And I'm not the only one who feels that way...

I'm aware of most of them and I don't really think they are ripping eachother off. I also know you aren't the only one who feels that, way. Either way, whether or not these bands are ripping each-other off is a seperate matter of opinion. Whether or not is plagiarism however, needs some substantiation which you never really provided.

Hold up while I scroll up and find my point. Oh right, it was that the AAL album was released before the Periphery one. Yup, says it right there.

Who cares? It doesn't matter. The AAL album was released a year before, but Bulb was releasing his songs YEARS before these albums. Do you only equate "releases" to label-released full lengths? If so, it still doesn't matter. You're still allowing your ignorance and lack of willingness to accept the fact that Bulb came first shroud your better judgment.

You remind me of high school when this kid walked in with an essay written completely by someone else (from one of those pay for an essay websites) and then thought it was OK since he put the entire thing in quotes.

And you remind me of people on internet forums that pointlessly post just for the sake of doing so without any real value whatsoever, just making blind claims and assertions for the sole purpose of upping your post count.

Don't fuck with Pluto. This is another topic in itself and I'm not going there (I get into enough engineering vs science debates at work).

My point exactly.