Fallout Thread

Sorry dudes, I'm just a purist for the first two, which is why I'm so excited to have Obsidian (remnants of Black Isle, makers of the finest RPGs EVER) working at it. Fallout 3 was a bitter disappointment to me, and more than that it shows how much gaming culture has degenerated to allow a watered down, stat-based, open world FPS to pass as an RPG these days. One that got well received no less. And now I'm even seeing people that say it is better than the first two. It honestly makes me doubt the state of humanity!

+100000000000!
So fkin well put! I remember how this game affected me back in the 98-99 and I'm still replaying it again in 2009. F3 was a huge disappointment for me also. F1 and F2 just had something you cant reproduce with flashy 3d laz0rz and shiny graphics. The world was sooo WELL built and left SO MUCH for imagination(unlike F3 which basically gave everything on a silver platter without letting imagination to work on anything). It's just hard to describe this sort of thing, but F1 and F2 both have it and F3 doesnt.
I can only feel sad for people who didnt play it back then, 10 years ago when gamers werent so used to all those flashy graphics that nowdays are mandatory for every game to be cool so they could see how awesome old Fallout was.

Dude, this fall is gonna be HEAVEN - Mass Effect 2, Modern Warfare 2, Uncharted 2, sequels to three of my all-time favorite games of this generation! :worship:notworthy:worship:

Don't forget Assassin's Creed 2 and Bioshock 2: Sea of Dreams this year too! :D:D:D

Holy shit, I just got a flashback from the day when Fallout 2 arrived in the mail. Never heard of the game before, and for the first 15 minutes I was all "what the fuck, is this game really about slamming a bunch of scorpions with a spear in some dark cave?"

And an hour later I was a believer :D

Holy shit, I just got a flashback from the day when Fallout 2 arrived in the mail. Never heard of the game before, and for the first 15 minutes I was all "what the fuck, is this game really about slamming a bunch of scorpions with a spear in some dark cave?"

And an hour later I was a believer :D

Hell yeah. I actually tossed the game when I was going through the Temple of Trials. I thought it was just some generic dungeon crawler. My lord though, after I got out that game became something else. Something friggin special on a level that few games have ever matched... and most of them have been Black Isle titles.

If you older Fallout fans have never checked it out, please play Planescape - Torment. There is something like over 1 million lines of dialogue written and it's almost like playing through an interactive novel with the most amazing story line and setting. It's the one game that matches the brilliance of FO2 for me, albeit in a different way.

And if you'd excuse me going all truthful and antagonistic again:

Mass Effect is a shitty KOTOR.

Hopefully playing as a Big Daddy will make the new Bioshock actually somewhat exciting. Maybe drilling some faces will get over the tedium of fighting the same 4 enemies ad nauseam in some claustrophobic, linear, cut down System Shock, cut'n'dry FPS romp.

Hell yeah. I actually tossed the game when I was going through the Temple of Trials. I thought it was just some generic dungeon crawler. My lord though, after I got out that game became something else. Something friggin special on a level that few games have ever matched... and most of them have been Black Isle titles.

If you older Fallout fans have never checked it out, please play Planescape - Torment. There is something like over 1 million lines of dialogue written and it's almost like playing through an interactive novel with the most amazing story line and setting. It's the one game that matches the brilliance of FO2 for me, albeit in a different way.

And if you'd excuse me going all truthful and antagonistic again:

Mass Effect is a shitty KOTOR.

Hopefully playing as a Big Daddy will make the new Bioshock actually somewhat exciting. Maybe drilling some faces will get over the tedium of fighting the same 4 enemies ad nauseam in some claustrophobic, linear, cut down System Shock, cut'n'dry FPS romp.

I really enjoyed Bioshock.. :(

I've been meaning to play Planescape for a while now but it seems hard to get.
Any idea where I can track a copy down?

Yeah, the gameplay in Bioshock was lacking, and your right about the linearity and claustrophobia, but MY GOD the environments, design, and scripting, they held my interest for multiple playthroughs! Never have I played a game that was as much of a work of art IMO!