FAR BEYOND DRIVEN, a fucking classic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

Papa Josh

Minister of Propaganda
Jesus christ, I have not listened to this release in probably 3 years....

Man, in the midst of me jamming SUPERJOINT RITUAL (which I love) and DAMAGEPLAN (which so far, I'm not terribly impressed..), I decided to listen to this, thanks to Evil C, and holy motherfuck if this isn't heavy as all holy hell. :kickass:

For mainstream major label, this is balls to the fucking walls.

METAL.

Hell yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just saw the latest Headbanger's Ball with Damage Plan as guests. It was a great show. They only played maybe one or two nu-metal songs. It seemed like the band actually picked the play list for the night. Anyway, they played the "Strength Beyond Strength" video, and I was think "Damn! This album is the bee's knees!"

I'm a huge Pantera fan . . . and I always will be. Cowbow, Vulgar, Driven, and even Southern Trendkill are some of the most influential albums ever for me.

I'd never seen it either, but I'm sure that's what it was. I was drinking heavily, but I'm SURE that's what it was.

Oh . . . and that cover is probably the best Sabbath cover I've ever heard.

Oh yeah!

Phil can sing awesome clean stuff when he wants to. I still remember the first time I heard "Cemetery Gates". I thought his clean vocals made the song good . . . but of course the Dimebag guitar riffs and solos were what made the song great.

Remember when Dimebag went by the name Diamond?

Dimebag's such a typical Texan. When he talks it's like he's known you forever. He's so laid back and doesn't ever get pissed or flustered. All the Texans I've known are exactly like that. That's a good thing. Californian's are too touchy for my tastes. They get offended by the littlest things (excluding NAD . . . he's a midwesterner at heart).

Oh fuck yes! I thought I was the only one who loved Far Beyond Driven!!! So many people give this album crap, but it is a certifiable 10/10 classic!!! It means SO FREAKING MUCH to me on a personal level as well: came out at the time when I was truly discovering metal, the lyrics literally speak to me, being adolescent and memorizing every nanosecond of great music coming my way, etc. etc.

npearce said:
Californian's are too touchy for my tastes. They get offended by the littlest things (excluding NAD . . . he's a midwesterner at heart).
I'll take that as a compliment, even though I've never ventured further east than Arizona! :tickled:

JayKeeley said:
I've owned this for one year. Bought it used for $3, and never listened to it, not even once. Will do now. :cool:
You dirty woman, I'll bet you still haven't listened to it! :loco:

I listened to both Far Beyond Driven and Cowboys from Hell...that's what made me decide to get rid of them! 90's mallrat thrash is so bleh on first listen. OK, I'll keep 'em for a while and get round to them sooner or later. No harm, no foul. :cool:

Phil was once a great vocalist, he could scream with the best of them, on key even. Dimebag though, egads man, one of the best guitarists that ever picked up the instrument. Even if you fucking HATE Pantera you have to give Dimebag some credit for being flat out incredible. He's one of the few guitarists where I've always immediately recognized his playing style, and that nobody really copied.

Cowboys From Hell = skater metal. Good riffs, a few decent songs, too stuck in the 80's to be enjoyed much today. I've been a Pantera fan for years and I've never thought too much of this one.

Vulgar Display of Power = heavy metal. Great songs, great riffs, the only problem is it's a little too slick sounding and restrained for Pantera, but some of the riffs here are Completely Timeless.

Far Beyond Driven = ANGER, INTENSITY, MAYHEM, AWESOME, RULERY, etc. metal. One of the greatest of all time. Loud and noisy as fuck. If you don't like this its because you can't handle the Raw Fucking Power of it. :p

Great Southern Trendkill = somewhere between the last two, with weaker songs. Living Through Me (Hells Wrath) is probably the best song they ever did, and Floods has one of the most beautiful guitar solos in history. Actually, several guitar solos here are top 10 worthy.

Reinventing the Steel = same as before. This one is not good or bad, but they didn't do anything new or push boudaries at all like they did in the early to mid-90's. This along with Cowboys is for fans only really. Glad I own it.

Fuck me, I almost forgot how much I fucking love this band. Too bad Superjoint is crappy and what I've heard from Damageplan wasn't impressive.

I have that one somewhere... The jewelcase with inlays is at thew "p"-spot in my collection as it should be, but I don't think the disc is in there. My brother bought it years back and I eventially kidnapped it but I haven't even heard it since last time my brother payed it I think, heh. SIDE NOTE: Bob Babelover of Lethal used to have one of those Dimebag signature guitars. Don't ask what model and stuff unless you post pictures I can choose from... Wait, don't ask at all.

Dimebag played Dean for years but his signature was a Washburn. Both were the same Explorer-ish / Destroyer-ish body styles with dual humbuckers.

wasdime2.jpg