Fast as a shark!

adaher

Apr 18, 2004
Coral Springs, FL
I was going through an old tape collection and found a couple of Accept cassettes. Since Accept is headlining Thursday I thought I'd revisit that part of my youth that I'd mostly forgotten. I'd remembered Accept being pretty good, but I didn't like Udo's voice much.

So I pop in Restless and Wild, and Fast as a Shark comes on. Whoa! Didn't this album come out in 1982? This sounds like a modern power metal song! I'd always thought that Helloween invented power metal.

So was Accept the first band to do something recognizable as power metal, or was there someone even earlier?

I was going through an old tape collection and found a couple of Accept cassettes. Since Accept is headlining Thursday I thought I'd revisit that part of my youth that I'd mostly forgotten. I'd remembered Accept being pretty good, but I didn't like Udo's voice much.

So I pop in Restless and Wild, and Fast as a Shark comes on. Whoa! Didn't this album come out in 1982? This sounds like a modern power metal song! I'd always thought that Helloween invented power metal.

So was Accept the first band to do something recognizable as power metal, or was there someone even earlier?

Fast as A SHark was like the first thrash song...not power metal...

I picked up "Restless and Wild" on cassette at a used record store in 1984. I vividly remember getting back to my dorm room, and with great anticipation popping it into the tape deck. When "Ein Heller und ein Batzen" came out of the speakers, my face fell -- some bozo recorded this crap over the tape before selling it back to the store! Fury! Anger! and then...resolution.

Absolutely awesome album, and Fast as a Shark always brings a smile to my face. [Hmm... where is that tape, and do I still have a working tapedeck? Maybe time to just buy the mp3 version on Amazon.]