Fast Picking......

Minhaz

New Metal Member
May 9, 2009
well trying hard but not getting the speed needed/ anticipated.....

Trying to a learn pentatonic lick for 4 months and i still can not play it, can not have the control over the finger while playing on 120 tempo(per beat 4 note)... sometime i can play it but sometime i just can not complete the lick and my finger get stuck in the string....

E 8-5
B ---8-5----8-5
G -------7-5----7-5-----7 5
D ------------------7-5-----7-5-----7-5
A ------------------------------7 5-----7-5
E ----------------------------------------- 8 5

my friends are saying this is becoz of

1. I haven't played acoustic guitar for long time(like 2 years). They say playing acoustic strengthen fingers and then building speed becomes easy, and then ppl get real control over electric guitar. they say that i should have played my early fingering lesson on acoustic.(well i did on those early days for 4 months)

2. Some say about my picking. I hold pick straight(180 degree...u can say) against string. They say this actually reduces my speed and also control.( well i like it. Picking like this gives clarity to tone....i think. Also helpful when u skip string.)

well..Im playing guitar for 3 years. Seriously for 1.5 years. And practicing this lick continuously 20 min, 3 days in a week for long 4 months(also with a variation in tempo, using metronome). I think this lick is not that much hard and i should be able to play this by now. But im failed.

Well i can play some tracks like Only for the weak, Colony, Trigger, The jester race, Cloud connected with no problem(mostly in flames). I mean i can play almost every kind of riff with no problem.

Well long thread. Im quite frustrated. If u have any suggestion, recommendation, query. feels like a looser who can not play a pentatonic lick after having a good practice...lolz.

Thanks......

I've never even owned a steel string acoustic and I can alternate pick and do 3 note per string legato patterns fine dude.
It's not necessary to own one to become good at electric guitar.

do it with a metronome and start slow at like 60 bpm or something and go up by 5 or 10 when you have it down

Also, this is goes across 4 frets.

If your not already, try using each finger per fret.

Example: Fret 5 = Index Finder
Fret 6 (not used in this progression = Middle Finger
Fret 7 = Ring Finger
Fret 8 = Pinky Finger

So on the high E string you'll use Pink and Index then move to the B and use Pinky and Index. Then your move to the G string should give you a Ring and Index.

Also, like previously stated, work with it at slower tempos and allow your fingers to gain that "muscular memory" so that your finger play it automatically without you having to think about it, then move up to higher and higher tempos.

perhaps you are raising your fretting fingers too far off the strings when they arent playing. If you upload a video we probably will be able to tell why.