Fav Old School Bands..

Reigning Glory

New Metal Member
Apr 12, 2002
Ca
Visit site
dudes..

lets not forget Metal Church.....the self-titled is an old school masterpiece....and yeah, Sanctuary also deserve recognition, cuts like Die For My Sins is a classic tune!

Other favs: Metallica (old), Slayer, Celtic Frost, Forbidden..

I have to agree with almost everyone who have contributed their own favs, especially Rage, Metal Church and Artillery are also my favourites. It's very hard to name other great bands just now, but I'll try... bands like, uh... W.A.S.P., Savatage, Onslaught, Running Wild, Twisted Sister and Judas Priest.

I haven't heard too many old school bands, but my favorites are:
Accept
Iron Maiden
Slayer
Judas Priest
Bathory (Viking Era)

I'm on an old school metal fix, so if you guys have any bands to recommend I check out, I'm open to your suggestions. To make a long story short, when I started getting into metal serious, I started out with Death Metal, then onto Black Metal, now, I'd like to get in touch with my roots, so to speak.

Originally posted by Reigning Glory
dudes..

lets not forget Metal Church.....the self-titled is an old school masterpiece....and yeah, Sanctuary also deserve recognition, cuts like Die For My Sins is a classic tune!

Other favs: Metallica (old), Slayer, Celtic Frost, Forbidden..

Glad you like Metal Church. Don't forget about the second lineup. "Blessing in Disguise" is one of my favorite albums of all time. I even mentioned it in the "Folk in Metal" thread on the regular forum. Old Pantera, Wrathchild America, and Powermad get my dibs as well.

Bryant

Originally posted by Endtime
I haven't heard too many old school bands, but my favorites are:
Accept

Hey nothing wrong with the other bands you named, but Accept was the shit !! I have owned Balls to the Wall and Metal Heart on vinyl, cassette and CD. I have their complete collection. Accept will always have a big place in my heart and to this day, they get an occasional spin in my CD player.

Bryant

yeah dude

BID is up there in heavy metal classics! heads down, it's up there, hehe..

currently in heavy rotation: Queensryche - Mindcrime (leads, man, leads!), Priest - Painkiller (twin guitar virtuoso)...

umm, check out this band Dreamsfear. They play old school Metallica meet early Iced Earth, very fucking 80s sounding. They've only released one 4 song EP titled Prelude to Destiny. These guys have amazing potential. If only they'd come back on the scene with something new....track list; Ruins, As Darkness Falls, Bleak Horizons, Burning Bridges...

RG

Originally posted by Bryant

Glad you like Metal Church. Don't forget about the second lineup. "Blessing in Disguise" is one of my favorite albums of all time. I even mentioned it in the "Folk in Metal" thread on the regular forum. Old Pantera, Wrathchild America, and Powermad get my dibs as well.

Bryant

Nice to see someone else remembers Wrathchild America. They were one of my favorite bands in high school. They were from the DC area, and hung out around the area all the time. Great bunch of guys. I still remember when Phil Anselmo shaved Shannon Larkin's hair off!

Another old school thrash band that never made it was Silence. They were AWESOME! They went to a big showcase (maybe SXSW) and the guitarist (Sonny Mayo who later was in Snot) got his head shaved by Phil as well...he was dangerous with those damn clippers man.

a few...

Kreator
Destruction
Sodom
Tankard
Sabbat
Autopsy
Death
Sadus
Overkill
Slayer
Megadeth