Favorite album(s) of 2015

And that's pretty much it. I'm not a fanboy, I found the first album amusing and din't really like the second but this one is infectious, both extremely corny and epic and the production is massive.

Really like Slugdge too!

On the other hand, I didn't like the production on Meliora, and the fex times I listened to it I really wasn't too enthusiast... Plus the amount of marketing surrounding the band is really getting on my nerves (even if it was worse between Infestissumam and Meliora). Anyway, I can understand why one would like it!

As for my favourite, I think it's quite difficult to pick one, as I've been quite underwhelmed by the releases I was expecting from this year (Sulphur Aeon mostly, their first album is incredible, and the last Necrowretch is so so too)...
In fact I can"t think of any release that really stoked me this year, I'm waiting for you guys to suggest names ah ah

I'd list BTBAM if I had space too- I was an ardent hater of everything from Colors to Parallax II but I really enjoyed Coma Ecliptic despite my misgivings.

I wasn't extremely impressed by anything I've heard this year, I must be getting old. There were a few albums I enjoyed listening to, though.

Soilwork - The Ride Majestic
Symphony X - Underworld
Teramaze - Her Halo
Tesseract - Polaris
Amorphis - Under the red cloud - This one was actually a big surprise for me since I'm not a fan of the band in general but it actually has some really cool songs in it:

The best albuns I heard this year without doubt are these:

While She Sleeps - Brainwashed
Kauan - Sorni Nai
Tesseract - Polaris

Some albuns I think that are very good but not great:
Symphony X - Underworld
Amorphis - Under the red cloud
Nightwish - Endless Forms Most Beautiful

Not a great year for me.

Amorphis - Under the red cloud - This one was actually a big surprise for me since I'm not a fan of the band in general but it actually has some really cool songs in it:

Yep I'm quite a big fan of Amorphis but I did not listen to Under The Red Cloud enough to list it as a top album, however it was very interesting as it is a little different to what they have been doing for quite a long time now!

Yep I'm quite a big fan of Amorphis but I did not listen to Under The Red Cloud enough to list it as a top album, however it was very interesting as it is a little different to what they have been doing for quite a long time now!

Yeah, I tried to listen some of their older stuff after I enjoyed this one, but I couldn't get in to them.

Favourite is Symphony X Underworld this year.
This is the only thing I know by Amorphis, but it's still in my good ol memories. Should I get that the new album ?

Have to say that 2015 wasn´t that awesome in terms of new albums for me. Or i didn´t find too many yet. These two stuck with me though:

the new Amorphis was good, but I haven´t caught me wanting to have another listen yet

hard to pick an album but these are my favourite songs this year:

^great hooks, interesting direction for Kevin Parker to take Tame Impala in stylistically. I way prefer the more synth heavy sound than guitars for this stuff. Perfect blend of looking backwards and to the future production wise. absolutely killer mix which I suspected would be Tom Elmhirst but turned out to be Parker. love the reverby clicks all over the album.

^I appreciate there's so many areas where hip hop is pushing production and music forwards but another year passes where I still can't stomach it. This album got my interest purely because Elmhirst mixed it and this song in particular as its essentially a soul record with hip hop low end. great performances, cool vocals and insane bass.

^this time Kevin Parker + Tom Elmhirst but a slightly funkier direction courtesy of Mark Ronson. Funk has made a welcome (to me) return to the mainstream ever since Uptown Funk and this song does some cool stuff with it. Almost Lennon esque psychedelic vocals, modest but appropriate guitar playing and great synth programming. Killer mix.

^arguably England's best songwriter with a beautiful song about Amy Winehouse. Massively recommend watching the movie "AMY" which is heartbreaking but does a great job making sense of addiction, as well as showcasing Winehouse's unbelievable talent and personality. Couldn't believe how great this song was given its fairly low key attention. Stephen Street produced and mixed (I think).

^Slightly disappointed with Noel's album due to too many Oasis B sides that sound like they're from 1994. This song however is exactly what Noel should be doing - way more in line with the music he likes. Production from FSOL/Amorphous Androgynous, I think Noel described the genre as "space jazz". Cool arrangement and shows off Jeremy Stacey's drumming who must be one of the best and most underrated drummers on the planet.

^was yet to see the hype about The Weeknd but this song really blew me away. Written with Max Martin (and therefore mixed by Serban) its concise pop writing while sounding very "2015". Funky music, Michael Jackson-esque vocals, hooks everywhere.

^Alan Moulder mix. Good balance of catchy/dancy.

^Greg Kurstin (co written of Hello by Adele) teaming up with Beck, clearly wanting to write a hit and delivering. Serban mix. Funky guitars, poppy hooks everywhere. Beck smashing it.

^Another Moulder mix, Ariel Rechtshaid (HAIM) production. Sounds predictably 80's, great poppy hooks.

^Blur's surprise comeback album. Varied album stylistically but lots of Graham Coxon which is always a pleasure to listen to. This song sounds very typically Blur without sound tired.

EDIT: I CLEARLY CAN'T COUNT/READ

Last edited: