Favorite bands?

Kevin_IMO

Key Master
Jan 2, 2003
Boston
www.infinityminusone.com
Hey everyone. I was curious as to what everybody on this forum listens too (other than us of course ;) ) so I figured I'd start this thread. So, three questions:

1: What are your favorite bands that you grew up listening to?
2: What are your favorite current/new bands?
3: What are your favorite older bands that you didn't get into until recently?

For my answers:

1: I grew up listening to Pink Floyd and Guns 'n Roses. I was also pretty big into Queen, Steve Vai, and Queenryche. My senior year in highschool I got into Dream Theater and I've been a prog metal junky ever since :D

2: I really like the new Korn album. I didn't think that much of the older stuff, but I think the new CD is great. I've been listening to Mudvayne (did I spell that right?), again I didn't like the last CD but the live DVD kicked ass and I think the new CD is amazing. I've also been listening to Deadsy lately. Anybody else into them?

3: I downloaded some Sepultura MP3s a while back and Kairo just got their DVD. Great stuff, I don't know how I missed them before. (Oh wait, yes I do, it's 'cause I grew up in a hick town in the south with no metal scene!) Also I've gotten into Marilion recently. Nice moody atmospheric lay back and chill music.

So, what's everybody else listening to?

1) I grew up listening to Iron Maiden and Judas Priest.

2) My favorite current band is dark tranquillity, their new album greater than any other metal bands I've heard, it just kicks ass.
I'm also into Children Of Bodom with their new album that I just cant seem to get tired of.

3) I recently discovered Anathema when I started posting in UM, don't know why I never heard of them before.

First, for me, there was AC/DC, Black Sabbath, and Rush.

Followed by Ozzy, Dio, Iron Maiden, and Judas Priest.

Followed by Queensryche, Slayer, Metallica, Mercyful Fate, Venom, Megadeth, Anthrax, Fates Warning, Hades, and King Diamond.

Followed by Pink Floyd, Marillion, Fish, Roger Waters, Sting, Tori Amos, and Van Halen.

Followed by Dream Theater, King's X, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, My Sister's Machine, John Wesley, Korn, and Alice in Chains.

And, now, Pain of Salvation, Procupine Tree, Opeth, Symphony X, Power of Omens, Watchtower, Spiral Architect, Spastic Ink, Katatonia, Aghora, Gordian Knot, Cynic, Superior, and a ton of others!!!

As for guitarists, here was my progression:

- Alex Lifeson
- Randy Rhoads
- Vivian Campbell
- Kirk Hammett
- Yngwie
- Vinnie Moore
- Tony MacAlpine
- David Gilmour
- Al DiMeola
- Christopher Parkening
- John Petrucci
- Ron Jarzombek

when i was little i listened to KISS, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Queensryche, GnR, Alice in Chains, Megadeth, basically whatever my brother was listening to. Now, I still listen to all of those as well as Nevermore(favorite), Iced Earth, Kreator, Witchery, C Corpse, Nile, Six Feet Under, Blind Guardian, The Forsaken, In Flames, The Haunted, and a shit load more of underground death/thrash/grind/black metal. I haven't recently discovered any older bands. EVERYONE should check this out!!!! Hard Time Radio on 89.3 KNON in Dallas! From reading what everyone listens to you will all dig this! it airs every thurs night from 8-10 pm central time at www.knon.org
and you guys might do well to send them your cd, and that goes for any good underground bands, the address is on the site.:D

Grew up: Iron Maiden, Queensryche
Now: Evergrey, Pain of Salvation, Symphony X, Enchant, Zero Hour, etc.
Older bands discovered in last few years: Crimson Glory, Fates Warning, Sieges Even