Favorite double bass pedals

Feb 8, 2008
Ft Worth, TX
I'm not really a drummer, but I've been thinking about making an investment on a particularly good one just in case the the drummer has a pos one. I've heard mixed opinions on many different double bass pedals. So what are you guys opinions?

Generally from me messing around on double bass pedals I've found (keeping in mind that I'm not a drummer)

The cheapy mapex ones are very bouncy, don't feel good at all.
Tama iron cobra is pretty good. Though a bit fiddly to adjust from what my drummer says.
Big dog seems nice and solid, felt good.

One thing I will say though is bass pedals are a very personal thing to most drummers, they'll be used to how their pedal feels and will have built their technique around how it responds, so chances are they won't want to change to something unfamiliar when they hit the studio.

DW9002 or any of the high end chain-driven pedals would be a good, safe option. You could always get a direct-drive style pedal like an Axis or Demon Drive if you're mostly recording fast stuff but they're going to feel really light to a drummer that's not used to them. Also with the smaller companies like Axis it's tough to find replacement parts.

dw5002 (hits a little harder than the 9000) or a cobra for studio. they're not too pricey and are good all-around standards. plenty of huge names use both. a 9000 isn't necessarily better, just different cause of the floating rotor. if you're not primarily a drummer, don't bother with axis or demon drive. if a drummer is into those sort of pedals, he'll obviously have his own.

I keep hearing Demon Drives are the best there is.

I'm using Yamaha direct drive pedals myself, they're fine and do what they're supposed to, nothing fantastic though.

I'm using Yamaha direct drive pedals myself, they're fine and do what they're supposed to, nothing fantastic though.

I used to have the Yamaha DFP9410's (older direct drive model) but the drive shaft(?) on them broke. I just decided to sell them instead of getting a new shaft, since I never really dug the feel that much. Got Pearl Eliminators and I really prefer them more, haven't tried them with the belt yet though.

That said, I don't really play any fast stuff. And I guess I have to sell my kit too now, since I haven't got a place to keep it in, and I really need the money :erk:

haha thats just marketing/hype pearl created. they are good, but its about preference at the end of the day. they worked with Trick when designing it. i thought that was funny. trick being competition and all

The Axis Longboards seem to be really popular these days but IMO they're designed purely for speed and not much else. Don't really dig the feel.
Iron Cobra are just tried and tested win, through and through. Speed, feel, response, at a reasonable price. Do it.

yeah iron cobras are pretty standard. my pearl 2002's were pretty good and adjustable as fuck. but felt cheap and not durable. love my dw9002s they are chunky and solid! axis and trick and mainly just for speed yes.

Nowadays almost every brand has great models. I've played with loads of them and the most important to take into account is:

Articulation: how will it fit into your setup. And the piece that connects both pedals should be really tight, never any loose.

Balance/stability: big base with velcro/screws.

Material: stainless/synthetic.

Regulation: Does it allow to tweak drastically?

And TACT!

As a drummer, even if a drummer comes in with POS pedals. He probably feels comfortable on them. And the performance will probably be better on those pedals (assuming they actually work). When I play on other pedals, it's like driving someone else's car... You can do it, but it just doesn't feel the same, and will take some getting used to resulting in more takes, more time, and more headaches. I keep some tools around and some penetrating oil to fix their stuff up. The band that I'm working with now, the drummer came in with the pedals taped together, literally. It was terrible... Few bolts here and there, get rid of some squeaks and they think they get new pedals!