Pedals or Rack Effects for playing live?

OD808 in the loop? I admit I have never done it. I always thought of OD in the loop as really the only taboo, as far as fx placement went. Hey, if it gets you your tone, cool.
For me..
Guitar->SD-1-> 5150-> Loop out -> CE-5->DD-2->GE-7 (solo boost)-> Loop in-> Marshall 1960/Greenbacks.

Often skip the chorus and delay entirely as they're predominantly for cleans anyway, that way I can kick in the boost from the 5150 footswitch just by engaging the loop. OD and EQ sit on the amp. Less is more for me. Because I am just not co-ordinated enough for the tap dance. I used to use a wah, until I discovered I can't wah with my right foot. At all. I fall over.

OD808 in the loop? I admit I have never done it. I always thought of OD in the loop as really the only taboo, as far as fx placement went. Hey, if it gets you your tone, cool.
For me..

I have a friend who bought a TS-pedal, and wondered why it sounded like crap.. so i went to his rehearsal with him, and it turns out he had it in the loop.
It was the noisest mushiest overly distorted sound i have ever heard, so i dont think its a good idea. ;)

But yeah, maybe in some kinds of music it would be useful as a pure effect, but i doubt it.

Kinda off topic and possibly stupid question....but I always wondered, when you have an OD pedal to boost for better distorted tone how does it work in live situations when you want to switch to a clean sound? You have to tap two buttons every time?

My bad, my OD808 is indeed in front of the amp, just made a mistake :p

Note- Tested it in the FX loop for kicks. It sucks.

Rack for me too.
I really like the sound going straight to my 5150 via cable,
but for live use I need too much stuff, which would be cable/tap dance overkill.
I hate having too much cables live because many cables & outboard fx could end in failures + hum. :D

So: Framus -> Sennheiser Wireless -> Boss GT-Pro -> 5150 + TS via 4 Cable Method // controlled via Behringer FCB1010

Sounds not as good as direct, but I have everthing working with the flick of a switch = huge timesaver.

Sure, there are better ways like the VodooLabs Stuff with loopers and everthing but thats too pricy for me right now.

Cheers, Markus.

I've thought about a rack setup, because it would be easier in terms of setting it up for gigs and the like. But I love the hands on nature of pedals, and unless you spend stupid amounts of money on high quality rack gear, they sound better.

No-one wants to hear an Alesis quadraverb on your guitar lines!!

I've thought about a rack setup, because it would be easier in terms of setting it up for gigs and the like. But I love the hands on nature of pedals, and unless you spend stupid amounts of money on high quality rack gear, they sound better.

No-one wants to hear an Alesis quadraverb on your guitar lines!!

way off topic here... but... I just realized that your url --www.myspace.com/tacomanarrowsbridgedisaster-- is NOT read as TacoManArrowsBridgeDisaster...

but back on topic... I've been running this setup...

Guitar > Sennheiser Wireless > JSX (soon to be replaced by Dual Recto) > Cab =--= G Major in fx loop and all controlled by fcb1010...

Kinda off topic and possibly stupid question....but I always wondered, when you have an OD pedal to boost for better distorted tone how does it work in live situations when you want to switch to a clean sound? You have to tap two buttons every time?

same question here :err:

Two buttons every time, or you use a "pedal-hub" that allows you to turn hardware pedals on/off through midi.

Yeah multi-fx pedals are something I would never use on stage. 99% of the time i'm only running a noise suppressor and my Maxon OD... Maybe I just like my simplicity, especially since there is virtually nothing that could go wrong that I couldn't fix in a few seconds hehe.

I would never use multifx pedals live
Oh come on, man...Opeth do! ;)

I'm totally eyeballing the DMC Ground Control/GCX setup...that way, you can have all your pedals in a rack already set to where you want them to be with no chance of some 600lb goober jumping up onstage and fucking your shit up. You get the benefits of having a 'rack processor' without actually having a real rack processor. I've come to be a firm believer that unless you drop coin for an Eventide or something else fuckin ridiculous (Fractal might be the exception, but I don't know for sure because I've never dicked with one), I have been thinking that having individual pedals are going to get you closer to the sounds you want...plus they are individual signals in each one doing the only function they are supposed to do instead of "8 effects at once" or some shit.

On the other hand...does anyone really sit in the crowd and say "that dude must be using the delay from an RP100, it's terrible" or whatever in a live setting? hmm...

On the other hand...does anyone really sit in the crowd and say "that dude must be using the delay from an RP100, it's terrible" or whatever in a live setting? hmm...

I do :)

Only other thing that I would really consider is the G-System. The big fat floorboard thing that TC do - it looks cool. I'm just a little put off by the idea because I used to have a Pod and it was fucking garbage.

right now I am using a 5150 III and a line 6 mi13. I have some axess witching stuff in my gear collection and have it switching channels and scenes on the m13 and amp.. and will probably use that live at some some point..but right now I just like the simple on off operation of the straight m13...