Vocal Pedals Live

jauernis

Feb 11, 2007
Frisco, CA
www.myspace.com
I am looking at the voice pedals from TC for live use. But have never done a gig yet but def need pedals in order to sound like our studio work...but just wondering if they are frowned upon or do you guys use them in your bands?
And if you do which pedal should I look at?

I use the TC Voicetone Create pedal live, and I really like it. I just use two patches...one slightly distorted patch for screams and one chorus/reverb patch for singing. It's not the most tweakable unit, but sounds really nice and I have had no issues with it.

Edit: I believe they updated this pedal and it's now the Voicetone Create XT...looks like it's a bit more tweakable.

As a FOH guy I absolutely loathe those things b/c they completely change your gain/eq/patches and compression at every turn if the guy hasn't really worked with it.

from a soundguy's perspective they are a bit of a pain in the ass..

the few bands that have brought them have used them for delays only (which I can easily deliver since 99% boards out there are digital, and have all kinds of effects)

If I ask them if they have any compression in there, they usualy say no, which leaves me with the issue to compress the signal or not, using a compressor will fuck things up a bit with the delays... no compression will expose the dynamic inconsistancy of a mediocre vocalist..

on the other hand if they have it, having compression pre-aux is asking for feedback somewhere down the road.

anywho, that's my view on it

if you know your shit, and have your own soundguy who know your material in and out and knows how to work around your unit, than I guess it's a cool addition

what a long rant that was

I use the TC Voicetone Create pedal live, and I really like it. I just use two patches...one slightly distorted patch for screams and one chorus/reverb patch for singing. It's not the most tweakable unit, but sounds really nice and I have had no issues with it.

Edit: I believe they updated this pedal and it's now the Voicetone Create XT...looks like it's a bit more tweakable.

same here. and you can send wet and dry signals independently to blend to taste in the desk. also you can send your own mix

I've used a Digitech V300 a couple of years ago... only used a thick chorus on some parts of 1 song and I used the delay. I've had some problems once with the unit resetting in the middle of a song, but I guess that was due to the electrical circuit in the venue. The band that headlined that evening was playing in the dark at once during their set, hehe...

As I'm in a band again, I was thinking about getting a similar unit again. As we don't have our own FOH guy, I think a unit like that can add a lot to a live show.

+1 for the VE-20 although I don't take it to most gigs because I don't want to cause a hassle for the sound guy. It's still pretty solid in terms of effects although it lacks compression which I find kind of a downer.

... like I said, I wish you guys would know how to use your units

it has compression, it's under the "dynamics" tab. It's a simple as fuck compressor, propably some adaptable ratio, you can only controll the threshold if I remember correctly

... like I said, I wish you guys would know how to use your units

it has compression, it's under the "dynamics" tab. It's a simple as fuck compressor, propably some adaptable ratio, you can only controll the threshold if I remember correctly

I know how to operate the unit thanks, my shortsightedness on the dynamics function does not impair my ability to use the two effects on the unit I do use. The dynamics feature has two parameters, "depth" and "enhance" and if it is intended to be a compressor then it isn't a very good one. But that is just my opinion. The unit does do delay, reverb, harmonies and pitch correction pretty well though.

I JUST bought the Voicetone Create XT, and for $300 i think just the Tone button that gives you compression, de-essing, and "auto eq" is worth that alone.

I had a hard time setting it up, but it's not rocket science, im sure anyone can figure it out.

I would recommend it if you like tweaking and if you only need one or two settings. It sounds amazing. I use channel A as my "verse channel" with just reverb, and the B channel as my "chorus channel" with reverb, tap tempo delay, and doubling effect.

I know how to operate the unit thanks, my shortsightedness on the dynamics function does not impair my ability to use the two effects on the unit I do use. The dynamics feature has two parameters, "depth" and "enhance" and if it is intended to be a compressor then it isn't a very good one. But that is just my opinion. The unit does do delay, reverb, harmonies and pitch correction pretty well though.

i'll play the devils advocate. The la2a has also two controlls and i don't think people say it's not a very good compresor becouse of it

Besides, it's a unit designed for musicians, so i'd find it absurd to put in attack/release and whatnot settings.

nah nah nah :loco:

i'll play the devils advocate. The la2a has also two controlls and i don't think people say it's not a very good compresor becouse of it

Besides, it's a unit designed for musicians, so i'd find it absurd to put in attack/release and whatnot settings.

nah nah nah :loco:

I think it's a bad compressor because of the way it sounds and I feel regardless of the settings things always sound better with it off, not because it has two knobs. :) And there is nothing absurd about musicians being expected to know how to operate a properly labeled compressor...

same here. and you can send wet and dry signals independently to blend to taste in the desk. also you can send your own mix
That's cool. I don't mind vocalists having their own fx, it's just a lot easier of they fx come in on a different channel than the main vocal. Also, if the eq and level coming out are reasonably consistant.

heh. Maybe if the venues and soundmen knew their shit, vocalists wouldn't need to get these kinds of pedals.

nah nah nah:loco:

that's very true I think, however I still find it's one problem breeding another, and not really a perfect solution

I think it's a bad compressor because of the way it sounds and I feel regardless of the settings things always sound better with it off, not because it has two knobs. :) And there is nothing absurd about musicians being expected to know how to operate a properly labeled compressor...

well, you're most propably right about the sound, like I said, just wanted to play the devils advocate. Although I would still argue about the second part, less is more in case of such a unit I believe