Who here has rack units in their guitar rig?

Honestly for your purposes you might want to consider a Boss GT8 or GT10. Way cheaper than a rack setup, allows amp channel switching per patch and allows you to turn on and off the preamp section of your amp if you wanted to run certain lead or clean sounds directly into the power section of your head. Yeah it's not as "pro" as a rack but fuck it, it is WAY more convenient and sounds more than good for live use.

Dude - I love you. Great idea. That never occurred to me at all!

Just had a thought....

I could have a delay in the loop of my clean channel permanently switched on, and a g-major in the loop of my lead channel permanently switched on?

So as soon as I change to either channel... instant delay!

Legend :D

Thanks dude, no prob.! And that's badass that your amp has multiple loops; a VH4, right? But why even bother with the whole G-major, if you're only gonna use it for delay? Just get a Boss DD-3 I would think, a whole lot smaller! And yeah, +1 to Adam with the GT8 suggestion as well, but if your amp has a loop for each channel (and not a master loop), I'm not sure if the 4 cable method would work...

Thanks dude, no prob.! And that's badass that your amp has multiple loops; a VH4, right? But why even bother with the whole G-major, if you're only gonna use it for delay? Just get a Boss DD-3 I would think, a whole lot smaller! And yeah, +1 to Adam with the GT8 suggestion as well, but if your amp has a loop for each channel (and not a master loop), I'm not sure if the 4 cable method would work...

It's definitely a thought, although I can get a g-major for only a little bit more than a new dd3, and I also figured it might be fun to play around with. Again, I'm half-planning for the future because although I don't need it's full capacity now, who knows what I might need in the future.

Like you say, very handy that each channel has a separate fx loop (and a master loop which is what i've been using til now)

I'm actually gonna base my rig re-design on that little inspirational gem of looping info.

Cool man, keep us posted! But to give you a piece of advice, I used to think about "planning for the future" and such, wanting to have lots of FX, but the fact is, I realized that all I ever use (or want to use) is delay for solos and cleans, so it saves me money, space, and setup time to keep it simple! (not to mention simplifying and purifying the signal chain)

Since the amp does have a master loop I still support the GT8 idea. You don't need separate loops for each channel that way because you can switch the channels per patch and each patch can have totally separate FX so it's just like having channel loops anyways. Only thing I'm not sure about is how the single relay in the GT8 will effect an amp with more than 2 channels... Actually nevermind that, you said the VH4 is MIDI controllable, you can just program the GT8 to send MIDI to the amp to control the channels that way.

l_46974086f53d454bbbee0a0691d984f1.jpg

Shitty cell phone pic. Most recent photo up-close of my rack. So...yeah. :kickass:

If you can't quite make out whats in it, here's as follows:
Furman PL8
Fender Rack Tuner
(empty)
Mesa Triaxis
TC Electronic G-Major
(empty)
Mesa 2:90 SimulClass

l_46974086f53d454bbbee0a0691d984f1.jpg

Shitty cell phone pic. Most recent photo up-close of my rack. So...yeah. :kickass:

If you can't quite make out whats in it, here's as follows:
Furman PL8
Fender Rack Tuner
(empty)
Mesa Triaxis
TC Electronic G-Major
(empty)
Mesa 2:90 SimulClass

That's all a rack should be. Add a wireless unit and you're good to go.

Pretty much the same as mine when I've got all the pieces.

Well now that I have mine set up I never miss an opportunity to show it off.
l_0ed2c387ef764c4091c4d7d0f06ddab4.jpg

And since there was a little talk of the fx units here, I love the Gt pro in my rig. It took forever to get it setup in a 4 cable method...so many damn levels and settings to tweak right. But I finally got it, and it really doesn't effect the tone at all. Maybe a little add in the highs, but I have no problem compensating by turning the bass up on the Uberschall or just bringing it down on the boss eq. But for overall control, it is tits. I have it setup now so it is in the 4 cable method, controls the ubers channels, and it has a pre loop that I put my decimator and TS7 in. And a tuner out to the korg. So any of that, plus fx can be changed patch to patch with one click. I now recommend it.

Well now that I have mine set up I never miss an opportunity to show it off.
l_0ed2c387ef764c4091c4d7d0f06ddab4.jpg

And since there was a little talk of the fx units here, I love the Gt pro in my rig. It took forever to get it setup in a 4 cable method...so many damn levels and settings to tweak right. But I finally got it, and it really doesn't effect the tone at all. Maybe a little add in the highs, but I have no problem compensating by turning the bass up on the Uberschall or just bringing it down on the boss eq. But for overall control, it is tits. I have it setup now so it is in the 4 cable method, controls the ubers channels, and it has a pre loop that I put my decimator and TS7 in. And a tuner out to the korg. So any of that, plus fx can be changed patch to patch with one click. I now recommend it.

Hey, madbutcher! Could you share you 4CM setup levels, knob positions etc.? I'm still running it for FX only, but I'm eager to enter the world of 4 cable method.

Hey, madbutcher! Could you share you 4CM setup levels, knob positions etc.? I'm still running it for FX only, but I'm eager to enter the world of 4 cable method.

No problem. I'll post them when I get home from work. Mine might be a little different that a lot since the Bogner has a parallel loop though. I actually used a help step by step thing for a GT-8 herehttp://www.bossgtcentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20894, then just found where the small differences are on a Pro.

here they are...

UBER FX LOOP LEVEL KNOB= FULL ON, 10

Input Knob = All the way down, 0

MAIN OUTPUT (KNOB ON FRONT)= FULL ON, 10

PATCH LEVEL (IN MASTER)= 100

FOT VOLUME (IN MASTER)= 100

LOOP
TYPE= S/R1&S/R2
MODES= BOTH NORMAL
SELCT= S/R1
SEND AND RETURN LEVEL 1= 100
SEND AND RETURN LEVEL 2= 0 Not using the 2nd loop yet.

**** SYSTEM MENU SETTINGS ****

Input Level= -10dB

Input Presence= 0dB

Pramp mode= Patch

MAIN OUT LEVEL= +4dB

SUB OUT LEVEL= -10dB

LP SEND LEVEL= +4dB

LP RETURN LEVEL= +4dB

I also run my TS7 and my decimator through the pre-amp loop. But there are no levels for that.

madbutcher said:
here they are...

UBER FX LOOP LEVEL KNOB= FULL ON, 10

Input Knob = All the way down, 0

MAIN OUTPUT (KNOB ON FRONT)= FULL ON, 10

PATCH LEVEL (IN MASTER)= 100

FOT VOLUME (IN MASTER)= 100

LOOP
TYPE= S/R1&S/R2
MODES= BOTH NORMAL
SELCT= S/R1
SEND AND RETURN LEVEL 1= 100
SEND AND RETURN LEVEL 2= 0 Not using the 2nd loop yet.

**** SYSTEM MENU SETTINGS ****

Input Level= -10dB

Input Presence= 0dB

Pramp mode= Patch

MAIN OUT LEVEL= +4dB

SUB OUT LEVEL= -10dB

LP SEND LEVEL= +4dB

LP RETURN LEVEL= +4dB

I also run my TS7 and my decimator through the pre-amp loop. But there are no levels for that.

Thanks man! But...you have the GT-PRO's input knob set at zero??? Isn't you guitar connected there in 4CM...?

Holy fuck dude, do you really use that many different patches? (to necessitate a MIDI board that big I mean)

I think he also like to send CC's too. I have the Voodoo Lab ground control set so that bottom row is only for patches and others are for CC's