Favorite Kick Resonant Head

Melodeath

Moonbow
Feb 6, 2004
Northern VA
What's your favorite? I'm using an Evans EMAD right now, but the hole is kind of small (only 4"), and I've read lots of people think the EMAD sounds good in the room, but weird under a mic, but they may have been talking about the EMAD batter, not the reso.

Either way, it brings me to the question, what's your favorite for the resonant head, or have you found it doesn't matter very much? I always used a Powerstroke 3 with Falam Slam for the batter.

I usually use an ATM25 on Kick, but I'm about the get a D6 and possibly a Shure Beta 91A

I would recommend sennheiser E902 over the D6, I think it sounds better overall. B91 rocks.
My go to reso is Evans EQ3
Thanks for the recs

Do you ever put a mic in close to the beater? It seems impossible to do unless you take the reso head off, or put the port hole at the top of the drum and use a long boom stand. I usually mic right at the port hole

Mic-wise, I'm looking for something more hyped, so I figured a D6 was a good choice. The ATM25 is great, but I want to EQ my kick less. From what I understand, the D6 will have a lot less mids and more highs. If the 902 is less hyped than the D6, I might already have that ground covered with the ATM25

Thats why I use b91, I put it on a pillow next to the beater. then the 902 just inside the hole. I own 2 D6 and a 902 and in my opinion 902 is way more usuable than D6 for kick/bass tracking.

Any chance you could post a comparison of the 902 and D6 in the same spot?

I've never used a Beta 91A, but I figured it was less hyped sounding than a D6, and maybe I'd blend them. We'll find out soon. I'll probably put up the 91A, D6, and the ATM25 all at once and then make a choice/blend.

One of the best drummers I had the pleasure of playing and recording with used a Remo Smooth White Powerstroke 3 as his resonant head. Sounded great to me.

Evans eq3 with a clear ps3 and falam on the batter head has been working great for me.

E902 is more geared to metal than the atm25, though i feel it can sound a bit small compared to the e602-ii. The D6 I'm not too fond of, its scooped way too wide so there's zero useable mids left. Beta 91a is good especially paired with the 602.

I went with an Ebony Powerstroke 3 with 5" hole for the reso head. It was unclear if the Evans EQ3 was really a "clone" of the PS3. The ones with the 5" hole don't specify if they have the outer dampening ring on the Evans website, and Remo doesn't seem to say how thick the PS3 is, either. Unless there was a mistake, the Evans EQ3 seem to be different thicknesses based on whether they have a mic hole or not.

Anyway, I'm sure it will be fine. I also ordered a D6 and Beta 91a.

I might do a shootout of the current Emad reso and the PS3 reso tuned to the same freq, just to see how much of an effect it actually has in a death metal context.