Favorite lyricists?

Originally posted by WarHead
VANILLA ICE:headbang: .,.,.,.,and FRED DURST :headbang: .,.,.,.hehe.,.,oh man.,.,:D .,.,.,.,.just kidding

Krikey
U GOT ME WORRIED THERE. lol

Oh yeah
Its good to see Anathema up there in the list. i was going to add that for sure.

yep there is an obvious bias- but i totally get Area 54's lyrics. big time. EVERYTIME!!!!!! oh yeah. they feel real- u can understand them but they arent done in that JohnDavies ( sorry korn fans) poor me state. theres room to identify with them without being a whiney victim. i think that makes sense???

Aaron of MY DYING BRIDE
than,
Mikael Åkerfeldt, Opeth
Mikeal Stanne, Dark Tranquillity
Anathema's guys
Garm, Ulver

Warrel dane, of course :D :D :D

If you want to change the world forget it the pigs already set it

You think pantera has great lyrics? Come on. It's like listening to a high school football team in the lockerroom

Pantera - Hollow

What's left inside him?
Don't he remember us?
Can't he believe me?
We seemed like bothers
Talked for hours last month
About what we wanna be
I sit now with his hand in mine
But I know he can't feel...

No one knows
What's done is done
It's as if he were dead

I'm close with his mother
And she cries endlessly
Lord how we miss him
At least what's remembered
It's so important to make best friends in life
But it's hard when my friend sits with blank expressions

No one knows
What's done is done
It's as if he were dead

He as hollow as I alone now
He as hollow as I alone
A shell of my friend
Just flesh and bone
There's no soul
He sees no love
I shake my fists at skies above
Mad at God

He as hollow as I converse
I wish he'd waken from this curse
Hear my words before it's through
I want to come in after you
My best friend

Pantera - Cemetary gates

The reverend he turned to me
Without a tear in his eyes
It's nothing new for him to see
I didn't ask him why
I will remember
The love our souls had
Sworn to make
Now I watch the falling rain
All my mind can see
Now is your (face)

Well I guess
You took my youth
I gave it all away
Like the birth of a
New-found joy
This love would end in rage
And when she died
I couldn't cry
The pride within my soul
You left me incomplete
All alone as the
Memories now unfold.

Believe the word
I will unlock my door
And pass the
Cemetery Gates

Sometimes when I'm alone
I wonder aloud
If you're watching over me
Some place far abound
I must reverse my life
I can't live in the past
Then set my soul free
Belong to me at last
Through all those
Complex years
I thought I was alone
I didn't care to look around
And make this world my own
And when she died
I should've cried and spared myself some pain...
Left me incomplete
All alone as the memories still remain

The way we were
The chance to save my soul
And my concern is now in vain
Believe the word
I will unlock my door
And pass the Cemetery Gates

Yeah, Phil anselmo is a terrible lyricist... :lol:

Fuckhead.

I would also like to add Suicide Note Pt. 1 to the pantera lyrics.
All you see is all to see... right? You see what you read, not what is said...? Think. THINK. You have to take phil anselmo's lyrics in the right context, they are deeply personal... anger IS actually an emotion you realize?

Do a bit of reading first. I suppose that you think James Hetfield is a terrible lyricist too? (go and read: dyers eve... !!)

Dave Mustaine? (read: my darkest hour)

Steve Tucker? - Morbid Angel:

"Summoning Redemption" - morbid angel

and while your clinging
to the ways of your worthless life
your words is falling
you are left with nothing
and with the winds that are blowing
the final truth has come
your ways so shallow and empty
have brought it down
your ignorant haze
has brought it down

They're all terrible at writing lyrics and expressing emotion... and terrible musicians.. in fact, all metal sucks. terrible music, all about satan and evil and death and sadness... Metal is NOTHING, music is NOTHING, life is NOTHING...

These people are worthless, no meaning, no point, never a sound to make, never a word to say, so shallow and empty. Nothing. Darkness. Void. Absent. Lifeless.

These people are pouring their lives before you, letting them see who they are, and in turn showing who you are. Have we ever heard you speak un-shallow words?? NO!!

Even thought you probably don't even know who CHUCK SCHULDINER is, because he is such a terrible lyricist, and terrible, totally BAD guitar player and musician... I will include some of his TERRIBLE lyrics that seem to fit you...!

What would you do without
your pathetic narrow-minded
approach to life, that reflects
your lack of abilities.
Your opinions are self
destructive.
Despair is your gain, delight is
corruption.
Destined to fall prey to your
stories, creating problems for
your consumption.
We will see where you go.
The future for you is nowhere.
Every minute a cliche of your
kind.
Too much to say from a
person with no respect.
Your accusations you will
regret.
From the mentally blind come
ideas that are poison.

ha ha ha. I guess you pissed me off a little bit...!

-Trapped in a corner

Goddam dude. Taking this a little personal aren't you? Oh well. Opinions are like assholes. everyone has one and they all stink. i'll modify my statement and say that a lot of anselmo' s lyrics are juvenile. five minutes alone? cemetary gates is a decent song. anger is an emotion. yes i know that. black metal is my favorite genre and they are full of anger, though they tend to express in a more fluid, grand, and hateful way than pantera does. perhaps my bias comes from my dislike for pantera. i dont like their music, too chunky and chuggy for me. and phils vocals get worse with each album. maybe his jocky attitude is perverting my view of his lyrics. i dunno. i dont care. was I in error? partiallly.

and i happen to love death and control denied. so yea, I know who chuck shuldiner is. He's a much better lyricist than phil anselmo, at least these days. and i know who steve tucker is, the one who wrote the lyrics to summoning redemption. i happen to really like morbid angel.
i'm not sure what caused to assume that i didn't know anything about underground music. i dont want to get into a discussion with what lyrics are in music. some bands i pay attention to their lyrics, some i dont. i dont care. i like the music and I love heavy metal. is it a requirement to like pantera to be a metalhead? whatever dude. your off your fuckin rocker. it was a waste of my time to reply to this.

fuckhead? yeah. that's the general opinion. that's fine. I have my opinions and reasons for liking metal, you have yours. so i'll leave you alone, you leave me alone. sorry for so deeply challenging your beliefs with a half joking comment that you felt the need to respond so strongly.

Ha ha. Finally, someone who can argue with conviction...! very good.

is it a requirement to like pantera to be a metalhead? whatever dude. your off your fuckin rocker. it was a waste of my time to reply to this.

I don't like pantera all that much actually, i just think they deserve a little more credit than they get. I don't like anything after ARISE by sepultura, but i think they deserve a little bit of credit for what they did for harcore music... (actually, i can't STAND anything after arise...!) Same deal with Machine head, i can't stand any of their stuff except Burn my eyes, but they deserve a lot of credit for what they've done... ALSO the same deal with Chuck Schuldiner on 'Scream bloody gore', i can never get into this album, but i understand what it has done for death metal... (death are definately my favourite band, but i don't need to have a bias opinion to all their stuff)

You did realize my sarcasm with the chuck schuldiner comment don't you??

Anyway, back to the thread POINT...!

Mikael Akerfeldt
Warrel Dane
James Hetfield (...And justice for all)
Travis Meeks (days of the new)
Jeff Martin (the tea party)
Chuck Schuldiner (...Individual thought patterns)

Mikael Stanne (Dark Tranquillity)
Mikael Akerfeldt (Opeth)
James Hetfield (MetallicA)
Dani Filth (Cradle Of Filth)

that's all I can think of right now.. in no particular order

Greetings.

Metal :

Dani Filth (CoF)
Martin Walkier (Skyclad)
Hansi Kursch (Blind Guardian)
Tom Sedotschenko (RIP) (and the rest of Evereve for that matter)
Guys from Dream Theater can be quite good
Mr. Doctor (Devil Doll)

Not metal :

Fish
Peter Gabriel
Trent Reznor
Guys from VNV Nation
Roger Waters
Nick Cave
Leonard Cohen

That should do for now...

What about Queensryche? Mindcrime, Rage, and the Warning, had the best metal lyrics i have heard.
Worst, has got to be Rhapsody, or Hammerfall, blind gaurdian, etc, trolls and goblins, swords and wizards, grow up damn it, and of course nu metal.