Favorite Songs

poundingmetal74

Demons Will Fly
Oct 18, 2004
Canada, eh
www.finalstage.ca
All day at work I've been trying to work up a list of my "top 10 favorite songs ever" in my head. An incredibly daunting task given the amount of music on my iPod. The given critera is simply that they be songs I could hear at almost given moment and not want to turn it off, but rather up. Simply put: I could hear these every day of my life and not tire of hearing them.

I think you get the point. Without further rambling. (and, please, feel free to create your own list):

10. Dream Evil - Chasing the Dragon (An absolute MONSTER right from the guitar slide. Catchy, heavy, blasing fast, what more could you ask for?)
9. Edguy - Land of the Miracle (A stunning ballad, simplistic yet incredibly complex. The end vocal part where Sammet sings several different lines together is sheer majesty and a technique far under-utilized in the metal genre).
8. Gemini - Out For Blood (A song about the Terminator. This song captured my CD player in the early '00s when I discovered the band. Lance King has never sounded better vocally, and the whole track just flows perfectly).
7. Skid Row - The Threat (This mutha frigging ROCKS. It's heavy, aggressive, in your face, and Sebastian Bach makes sure you know that he means business. Shame this was never a big hit, it's an incredibly catchy track and one of the best anti-authority songs out there).
6. Z-Lot-Z - Who's the Believer? (A song I had cranking on the way home. The song opens with rain and thunder with a clean guitar soaring overtop creating an extraordinary atmospheric piece. Until the heavy part kicks in. Vocalist Tom Calandra really shines on this one. One of the best tracks Ryche never recorded).
5. Titanic - Gods of War (I knew there was a reason we covered this track :). One of the simplest songs in the existence of metal. Not terribly complex or, for the most part, even all that memorable, but this track really struck me back when metal was all but forgotten in the mainstream.)
4. Pink Cream 69 - Stranger in Time (I don't know why this track stuck with me, but it's a song I've heard probably 500 times and have yet to tire from hearing. Hearing David Readman sing "Would you like a revolution?" has to be among my favorite lines in metal).
3. Siam - Queen of Swords (The lightest piece in the list. There are virtually no electric guitars in this song, save for part of the guitar solo. Tony Mills works wonders with simplicity here and it pays off. I've slated this song for essential listening when I'm on my deathbed).
2. Queensryche - Take Hold of the Flame (Without having heard this song, I don't know if I'd be the avid Ryche fan I am today. Although I was always a casual fan, it was not until I heard this track that I really understood Ryche and what made them so unique. I can't count how many times I've used the intro as a vocal warm up. Arguably the most stunning vocal melody in metal history. An operatic masterwork by one of the best singers period).
1. Skid Row - Quicksand Jesus (A song that I've always felt warranted Skids to be a part of upper-u[[er echelon of metal songwriters. Quicksand has gotten me through a number of rough times in my life, including earlier this year when two close fans of ours tragically passed away. Skid Row's finest hour and a song worthy of cranking every single time).

Now, let's see what everyone else puts. :kickass:

This list changes from time to time, but, overall, I’d say these ten are my all-time fav tracks. They’re in no order.

Nights In White Satin – The Moody Blues
Heaven And Hell – Black Sabbath
The Crown of Sympathy – My Dying Bride
The Hosts of the Seraphim – Dead Can Dance
Stairway to Heaven – Zep
Light my Fire – The Doors
Gimme Shelter – Rolling Stones
Child In Time – Deep Purple
Everything – Anathema
I Got Sh*t – Pearl Jam
Love Reign O’er Me – The Who

Ironically, nothing from two of my fav five bands (Maiden & Priest) makes the list.

Thanks for starting me out this morning with a headache, Brandon. Almost impossible for me to compile a fav song top 10, as it changes constantly with new releases and my mood. Not to mention I'm probably forgetting more songs than I could listen to in a day. But in the spirit of contribution, I'll list ten songs that make me stop and headbang every time I hear them...

Children of the Sea - Black Sabbath
Symptom of the Universe - Black Sabbath
You Can't Kill Rock N Roll - Ozzy
You Shook Me All Night Long - AC DC
Judas Priest - Beyond the Realms of Death
Christmas Eve Sarejevo - TSO/Savatage
Don't Fear the Reaper - Blue Oyster Cult
The Rumor - Savatage
The Trees - Rush
Welcome Home - King Diamond

way too hard

Ditto here

Black Sabbath - 'Heaven And Hell'
Iron Maiden - 'Flight Of Icarus'
Judas Priest - 'The Sentinel'
Black Knight - "Battelfield"
Blind Guardian - Time Whats´Time
Helloween - 'Before The War'
Praying Mantis - 'Naked'
Saracen - 'Come To The Light'

more to come

Ever changing list off course, but these mostly return ..

Queensryche - Queen of the Reich
Culprit - Ice in the Back
AC/DC - Highway to Hell
Angel Witch - Angel of Death
Loudness - Street Woman
Black Sabbath - Lady Evil
Iron Maiden - Killers
Diamond Head - Am I evil
Dream Theater - Pull me Under
ZZ-Top - Gimme all your Lovin'
Budgie - Panzer Division Destroyed
Savage Grace - The Dominatress
Raven - Rock Untill you drop
Znöwhite - Do or Die
Manowar - Metal Daze
Sieges Even - Unbreakable
Anthrax - Metal Thrashin Mad
Riot - Road Racin'
Sacred Blade - Salem (demo version)
Savatage - Sirens
Metallica - Whiplash
Alcatrazz - Desert Diamond
Uriah Heep - Easy Livin'
Helstar - Suicidal Nightmare
Leatherwolf - Kill and Kill again
Toxik - Social Overload
MSG - Ready to Rock
Zoetrope - Indecent Obsessions

Well, I can go on a while I guess there's alot of good Metal songs :p

Just like everyone else, I think it is practically impossible to name a top ten, but I will give it a shot:

"Silently" Vanden Plas
"Bleed" Angel Dust
"Metropolis Part 1 The Miracle and the Sleeper" Dream THeater
"The Spell Can't Be Broken" Metal Church
"Up to the Limit" Accept
"Iris" The Goo Goo Dolls
"Afraid to Die" Tad Morose
"Highway Song" Blackfoot
"Eyes Wide Open" Sieges Even
"Dying For Love" Black Sabbath

Bryant

:Smug: Millions but some I´d always say:

1. SAVATAGE: "When the crowds are gone". Never heard a most emotional song. If I could hear it live I´m sure I´d cry :cry:

2- RIOT: "Bloodstreet" I could pick any song from "Thundersteel" but this one is special, starting slow and suddenly changing with that monstruous riff made in Mark Reale.

3- UFO: "Doctor doctor". Michael Schenker at his best. Maybe you could say it´s a shame but my favourite version is from MSG "One night at Budokan" sung by Gary Barden.

4- RUSH: "2112". 18 minutes of musical perfection.

5- Y&T: "Forever". Maybe tied with "Midnight in Tokyo" and "Rescue me".

6- BARON ROJO: "Siempre estás allí". The best power ballad written in spanish. Baron Rojo´s first 4 albums is a must have for every metalhead no matter where are you from.

7- RATA BLANCA: "La leyenda del hada y el mago". Almost Rainbow in spanish. A guitar hero and an amasing singer. Best band from South America (they are from Argentina)

8- TRIANA: "Abre la puerta". Not metal, not hard. Triana is a mixture between rock, progressive and roots from their region, Andalucia (but not flamenco). IMO, the number 1 band hailed from Spain. They split in 1983 after the demise from their singer, Jesús de la Rosa, in a car accident. Jesús is a legend. I´ve never heard anyone like him :worship:

9- QUEENSRYCHE: "Suite sister mary". Just one of the 15 songs from my favourite album: "Operation: mindcrime".

10- SAMAEL: "Black trip". I love extreme metal and "Ceremony of opposites" was one of the first black metal albums I bought. That song is brilliant and the verse: "I choose the dark I choose the night I lost hope of loving a day of life..." :headbang:

EXTRA- DARK TRANQUILLITY: "Lethe": What a band! In Flames lost but they have kept the right path.

my list will differ alot, lol.
and is it ok if i make 2 lists? ha, one for metal and one for everything else. cos, its so hard to pick between metal songs and celtic/orchestrated songs.

Metal
10. Crownless by Nightwish. An awesome song. A sure rocker, and one of my favorite vocal lines from Tarja I've ever heard. It's a favorite driving song of mine.

9. Limelight by Rush. A very "feel good" song to me. A solid rocker from start to finish. I actually might listen to this song close to 5 or 6 times a week, so it's up there.

8. Take On The World by Tad Morose. Just beats out "no mercy" off Modus Vivendi, hah. This song has just got everything for a song.

7. Winter Madness by Wintersun. Such a badass song, very intricate. The chorus is absolutely killer. Love this song.

6. Fields Of Gold by Turisas. It's just too epic to ignore, haha. A great band, it was a hard decision for which of their songs I like the most.

5. Bloodstained Ground by Eluveitie. Definitly an every day song. This song is awesome, and with my 2nd musical love being celtic music, this will always be one of my all-time favorite choruses.

4. Consign To Oblivion by Epica. Another lengthly so it has alot in it to dig and enjoy each day. The whole second half of the song is just really well put together.

3. The Kingdom Of My Will by Lost Horizon. Man do I wish this band's vocalist never left. The whole album was awesome, but this was one of the best closing songs I've ever heard. Love it.

2. Mirror Mirror by Blind Guardian. I was struggling between like 6 BG songs, but I had to go with this. Than again, that part towards the end of "and then there was silence" where Hansi does alot of "na-nanana, na nana" stuff...that part looped for 6 minutes would probably be the best thing I've ever heard, ahha. I love that part.

1. Blood Brothers by Iron Maiden. Just by mood alone, I would probably have to pick a different Maiden song each day, hah. But I went with this. It's calming and uplifting, very melodic. A really great, great tune.

man i'm angry i had to leave out Full Moon by Sonata, and Fight or Fall by RIOT.
and of course like anyone else, probably an ever-altering list to some degree, (at least song wise if not band wise too). but this is what my current mindset told me.

Death Angel - 'Spirit'
Metallica - 'Whiplash'
Megadeth - 'Tornado Of SOuls'
Coroner - 'Pale Sister'
Riot - 'Thundersteel'
Fist - 'Name Rank And Serial Number'
Avenger - 'Enforcer'
Jaguar - 'Mouth & Trousers'
Sabaton - 'Primo Victoria'
Astral Doors - 'Brides Of Christ'
Lion's Share - Hatred's My Fuel
Primal Fear - 'Face The Emptiness'
Lacuna Coil - 'Senzafine'
Within Temptation - 'Mother Earth'
Exciter - 'Thrash Speed Burn'

more will come

Judas Priest - The sentinel
Manowar - Thor the powerhead
Slayer - Tormentor
WASP - Wild Child
Diamond Head - Shoot Out The Lights
Hanoi Rocks - Don't You Ever Leave me (not the fast version)
Holocaust - Death Or Glory
Judas Priest - Jawbreaker (especially the live recording that's a bonus on sin after sin)
Mercyful Fate - Evil
Motorhead - Deaf Forever, Killed by Death, stone dead forever
Raven - Hard Ride
TNT - Seven Seas
Thin Lizzy and Queen would be in here if it's not just heavy metal, as would some other stufff

there's plenty of stuff I couldn't think of atm

Well, yeah, this is impossible. But I've enjoyed reading everyone else's list, so here's mine. More than 10 (and still missing too many things), but these songs I consistently think of as, "favorites."

Lisa Gerrard - Laurelei
Black Sabbath - A National Acrobat / Born Again
Dead Can Dance - The Writing on My Father's Hand
Jimi Hendrix - Woodstock Improv/Villanova Junction
Deep Purple - Child in Time (from Made in Japan)
The Allman Brothers - Whipping Post (Live at the Fillmore version)
Rainbow - Stargazer
Grateful Dead - Terrapin Station
AC/DC - Have a Drink on Me
Marilyn Manson - Irresponsible Hate Anthem
Ozzy Osbourne - S.A.T.O.
Thin Lizzy - Emerald
Pink Floyd - Nobody Home
Mercyful Fate - Satan's Fall
Iron Maiden - The Thin Line Between Love and Hate / Revelations
Led Zeppelin - Dazed and Confused/Battle of Evermore/Kashmir, etc. etc.
Metallica - Master of Puppets
UFO - Space Child / Queen of the Deep / Lights Out
Opeth - Blackwater Park
Motorhead - The Hammer
ZZ Top - Hot, Blue, and Righteous
Paul Simon - American Tune
Bob Dylan - Every Grain of Sand
Nazareth - Please Don't Judas Me
Nine Inch Nails - Eraser
Jethro Tull - Mother Goose / My God
Judas Priest - Victim of Changes
Saxon - The Eagle Has Landed

And...a "nod" to songs I see on other people's lists that also fit into my favorites:
Nights In White Satin - Moody Blues
You Can't Kill Rock and Roll - Ozzy (I always get chills from that one)
The Trees - Rush
All of the Y&T songs Marco Spain listed. You chose the best ones! And Y&T is awesome.
Tornado of Souls - Megadeth
Deaf Forever - Motorhead

...though NOBODY has bad choices, of course.

Metallica-Orion
Fates Warning-Guardian
Kreator-Voices of the Dead
Carcass-Childs Play
Children of Bodom-Touch like the angel of death (live version)
Megadeth-Tornado of Souls
Napalm Death-Suffer the Children
Pearl Jam-State of love and trust
Red Sparowes-Buildings begin to stretch
Shadowsfall-Lifeless
Suicidal Tendencies-How can I laugh tomorrow
Coroner-When Angels Die
Anacrusis-Grateful
Bruce Dickinson-Tears of the dragon
Death Angel-The Ultra Violence

Thin Lizzy - 'Emerald'
Rush - '2112'