Favorite supergroups, side projects, etc.

ashaman7122

Crazy on a ship of fools
Dec 11, 2002
Sittin' here groovin' to BCC and thinking about real rock played by real people with real instruments, real inpiration, and real passion...which could be another topic altogether.

Anyway...other satisfying projects like Blue Murder and Chickenfoot come to mind.

Without elaborating further, I'll open up the floor to discussion of various supergroups, side projects, or any other random bastardizations that you feel free to mention...regardless of sub-genre or type...

Missa Mercuria

I also dig some of the Dream Theater side projects even when I don't like the core band at all, ex: Liquid Tension Experiment, Dominici.

Missa Mercuria

I also dig some of the Dream Theater side projects even when I don't like the core band at all, ex: Liquid Tension Experiment, Dominici.

Nice...Missa Mercuria was a very good meeting of the minds between VP and PC69 with DC on vox. A real gem.

My wife and I were just sitting here debating PC69 and their prolific-acy (or prolific-ness?), kinda like the DT boys

It is interesting that she can't stand PC69, but loves Place Vendome...go figure!

Right now I'd say Them Crooked Vultures.

I also thought The Damned Things was pretty cool too:

Last edited by a moderator:
One of my favorites has to be Van Helsing's Curse:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6vBXJkpXeg&feature=related[/ame]

Consisting of members from Neurosis, Om, and Saint Vitus.

Going back a few years:

Consisting of Members of Soundgarden and Monster magnet; sounds-nothing- like any of the bands that it's members came from; is not metal, however.

Members from Clutch and Opeth. Sounds more like the former than the latter.

Side Projects?

I.

I know i've got more, but I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Last edited by a moderator:
Missa Mercuria

Wow !! I am about the biggest VP fan on the planet, yet that band wouldn't have crossed my mind. Really dig them though.

If I had to pick a "best" Supergroup" I would have to agree with the majority of typical radio listening Americans and say The Eagles. It is not simply a thing about album sales, but great song writing. They started out as country and made country songs so awesome that I loved many of the songs. They got bored with that so they started making rock and roll music and made lots of rock and roll music I loved as well. Maybe they should make a metal album.

I honestly hate to not be able to come up with some great and clever obscure supergroup that is rock or metal based, but I am drawing a blank as far as something that moves me. Someone else will inevitably name one I dig and I will want to kick myself, of course.

Bryant

Avantasia is still the Ultimate Supergroup to me, but the new Symphonia REALLY surprised me, as I am not a big fan of Stratovarius, but it is really excellent Power Metal! :headbang:

Would O.S.I. be considered a side project or supergroup? If so, then they'd top my list (doesn't hurt that Mikael Åkerfeldt made a guest appearance on one of their albums).