Favourite Soundtracks?

Inception
Jurassic Park/JAWS/Stars Wars/Indiana Jones/pretty much anything John Williams has ever done
The Social Network
Alice in Wonderland (2010)
The Dark Knight
Tron

Thanks for the Warcraft 2 soundcraft it brought back memories from years and years ago ! This game was awesome, I lost countless days of my life on Warcraft I and II !

Here is my input, this movies is satyrical and nevers takes itself seriously, but the OST is really epic. Poledouris ftw :

Last edited by a moderator:
FFVII (as all FF) are full of win, this one is close to be my fav :

Oblivion soundtrack by Soule, I actually used to avoid entering a city or fast travelling when this piece came up in game cause I love its mood :

always loved Jeremy Soule's work on the elder scrolls games, but the overall quality of his work has imo descented slightly. with the oblivion and skyrim soundtracks, i often get the feeling i've heard some of the pieces before. in the oblivion soundtrack, there's a few tracks that i'm POSITIVE are exactly the same as some other pieces in other games which Jeremy Soule hasn't even worked on. i'm not accusing him of plagiarism or the sort, i rather believe that his work has become much more straightforward and less interesting than the morrowind soundtrack, for example. it sounds like his focus has shifted from the whole to individual parts, which makes for some absolutely beautiful parts but overall makes the work a bit generic sounding, which may lead to some of the pieces sounding similar to other composers' work. in short, i think he's gone to composing "hits" in the soundtrack world.

that's how soundtracks musically differ from actual classical music as well, so i guess it's only natural.

---

some of my favorites; i'm going through the whole spectrum so there's going to be 8-bit but bear with me

Jesper Kyd's work on Hitman 2

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7JyHr9nBvw&feature=related[/ame]

the music of the movie A Beautiful Mind is fantastic, one of my all-time favorites:

i always found that the music of the original Deus Ex was full of atmosphere, even though the actual production is slightly crude. fits the game like a glove on that note as well. i believe i love it so much because if i was told to create a soundtrack for Deus Ex, it wouldn't be anywhere near how it really is; the composition is sort of the unexpected type for the game and that's one of the reasons the atmosphere created is perfect and unique.

i love 8-bit soundtracks of the classics, so here's one - believe it or not, my favorite 8-bit piece is from a chip 'n dale game.

Almost all of John Williams work, Basil Poledouris, Jerry Goldsmith ( he even raped Poledouris on total recall...), or James Horner.

Zimmer is great but he's not a classic composer, he has more of a pop mentality when it comes to it, he writes really good themes, but he's no Williams :)

Steve Jablonsky is awesome imo. He does the soundtracks for Gears Of War, Transformers and a whole bunch of other big budget stuff. Nice mix of orchestral music with the odd electronic samples here and there.

Assassin's Creed 2 soundtrack by Jesper Kyd. The soundtrack being a big part for the game. Sometimes when I play the game while enjoying the soundtrack I feel like I'm the real enzio and others who play it's just copycats.

Anything by Bernard Hermann, especially Psycho:

Lately I'm really digging the score for Last Samurai, especially this track. The section starting at 5:00 gets me every time:

Big fan of Badalamenti's work in Twin Peaks: