Fear Factory

Dead Winter

STAHP
Apr 30, 2002
Italy/US
Ok, so my new drummer is a god, and he suggested we do a couple of covers; Anaal Nathraakh, Fear Factory, etc. So I proceed to start learning Demanufacture.

Fear Factory isn't too difficult to play, however, it's extremely precise and takes a lot of stamina. I now have a whole newfound respect for Dino. It's actually a bit more difficult than Do Not Speak from Anaal Nathrakh. Surprisingly, Rain from Samael is the most difficult to play. Extremely precise and Vorph fucking sings while he's playing. It seems so easy, but if you want to play it note for note, you're in for a big surprise. It's not fast or overly complicated...it's just fucking difficult.

SO...if any of you guitarists out there are looking to improve your stamina and precision, I recommend Demanufacture.

My new drummer is like a cross between Ray Herrerra and Nick Barker. I think I've got my hands full with this one.

Dino brags about his right hand a little too much for me, but there's no doubt he can back it up. Check out Asesino too. Crazy shit, that guy's madman.

Lucky shit. Finding an excellent drummer with similar interests is never easy. Indeed, Dino always seems tighter than a vice-like grip.

Dino has a really good right hand, but I really hope he's not telling the world that what he does is impossible for anyone else to do. I practiced those riffs for about an hour before I perfected the most difficult ones. Like I said, it's more of a stamina thing than ability. Not doubting his ability at all, but it's not something that is completely all his own. He's just a good guitarist.

Lucky shit. Finding an excellent drummer with similar interests is never easy. Indeed, Dino always seems tighter than a vice-like grip.

Dude, this guy is the drummer I've been looking for my whole life. There are plenty faster than him, sure, but his style is what I love about him. We have the same interests, the same opinions, the same outlook on how one should play/practice in his/her band. He's very precise and focuses on the most important things such as playing correctly, even if at first you must play slowly, then working up to speed. He's a timing and precision nut, which is exactly what I want. I want someone to break my balls when I'm just even a little out of time. My last band was all about drinking and having fun, and that has it's place until they start talking about how they want to go on to bigger things. Perfect practice wasn't in their vocabulary.

He lives an hour and a half away from me and we will probably practice once, maybe twice a month, but that's all we need because we practice alone to perfect our parts. The guy just recorded a one-man project a couple of months ago...there's nothing more humbling than having your drummer get off his stool and grab your guitar to show you how to play something.

He's fucking great. If you wanna check him out, go to myspace and search for Darth Manu.

Dude, this guy is the drummer I've been looking for my whole life. There are plenty faster than him, sure, but his style is what I love about him. We have the same interests, the same opinions, the same outlook on how one should play/practice in his/her band. He's very precise and focuses on the most important things such as playing correctly, even if at first you must play slowly, then working up to speed. He's a timing and precision nut, which is exactly what I want. I want someone to break my balls when I'm just even a little out of time. My last band was all about drinking and having fun, and that has it's place until they start talking about how they want to go on to bigger things. Perfect practice wasn't in their vocabulary.

He lives an hour and a half away from me and we will probably practice once, maybe twice a month, but that's all we need because we practice alone to perfect our parts. The guy just recorded a one-man project a couple of months ago...there's nothing more humbling than having your drummer get off his stool and grab your guitar to show you how to play something.

He's fucking great. If you wanna check him out, go to myspace and search for Darth Manu.

Cool, will do.

The drummer I used to work with is an ultra-cool, open-minded and talented dude, but he just doesn't have the right sort of focus or drive I might be looking for, e.g. he'll practise blasting for a while, realise it's incredibly difficult, and just kind of give up. That said, he does work hard enough to learn the parts he needs to. Like you were saying, the drinking/good time capacity of a band is fine if you're not looking to go very far with it, and he (and the rest of the band after I left - a sort of stoner rock/metal group) seems comfortable enough doing that. Not saying I want to make a living off of music or anything, but I just have a different, more..poncy approach.:lol:

Dead Winter, your drummer is a musician. So many people get into bands playing music for the wrong reasons and it's refreshing to find people who do it for the right reasons. Let me guess... his main goal with his playing is to continuously improve? That's the way it should be. That's how everyone in my band is too. Makes things so much better! Congrats to you :)

I read in an interview with Dino one time that he used to take those velcro sandbags that people wrap around their ankles when they go jogging and put them around his right wrist when he'd practice and that helped him develop that deadly syncopated rythym playing ability.

Dead Winter, your drummer is a musician. So many people get into bands playing music for the wrong reasons and it's refreshing to find people who do it for the right reasons. Let me guess... his main goal with his playing is to continuously improve? That's the way it should be. That's how everyone in my band is too. Makes things so much better! Congrats to you :)

I read in an interview with Dino one time that he used to take those velcro sandbags that people wrap around their ankles when they go jogging and put them around his right wrist when he'd practice and that helped him develop that deadly syncopated rythym playing ability.

You just described our personal agenda. Constant improvement, no matter how little or large...always moving forward is key. Where you go doesn't matter, but as long as you keep moving forward.

I'm gonna have to try that with the wrist weights. I've got a pretty good wrist, but that actually sounds like a good idea.

Learn to cover pisschrist
i will come and see you guys if you can per-fect that one

Demanufacture is more difficult. Demanufacture is much more compressed and tight than Pisschrist. Pisschrist sounds like a Ministry song.

Aside from memorizing the time changes, Pisschrist isn't that much of a problem to play.

Samael's Rain is a pain the ass for me. I can get it slow, but the right speed is tough, and to do vocals on top of it? Impossible (For me anyway). I bet our resident guitar god Bozarth could do it though. Cover some Samael with distorted mind!

Vorph is a freak of nature. His unorthodox way of playing guitar goes against my style of playing, but I love Samael. Again, it sounds SO fucking easy and of course you could slop something on there that sounds really close to it, but if you want the real deal...I'm convinced that Vorph is probably the only one who can do it justice.