circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Fear My Thoughts – Vulcanus
Century Media Records – 77557-8 – January 15th, 2007
By Jason Jordan

fmtv.jpg

Germany’s Fear My Thoughts have finally made the jump to a major label, so expect to see Vulcanus all over the place once the release date arrives. The quintet are far from newcomers, however, as their discography now holds five full-lengths – 23 and Vitriol on Let It Burn Records, The Great Collapse and Hell Sweet Hell on Lifeforce, and of course the latest on Century Media. Their previous effort was a good offering, even though I’ve seldom returned to it since I reviewed it back in August of 2005, but I envision myself replaying this now and again despite its flaws.

FMT – although their location screams metalcore (Caliban, Heaven Shall Burn, etc.) – don’t stick to one specific brand. Instead, they prefer to wave the flags of metalcore along with Soilwork-inspired melodeath rather than letting one or the other monopolize their sound. The highs are all but obvious, and the opening number ‘Accompanied by Death’ capitalizes on just about everything the band has in its arsenal. Besides the speedy tempo, which is bolstered by instrumental chops, the keyboard effects (courtesy Anubis Gate’s Oelsen) enhance the song tremendously, and there’s an unmistakable At the Gates vibe present during certain moments – not quite unheard of, huh? It’s more difficult for me to get exhilarated when Fear My Thoughts parallel Soilwork, however, as in ‘Blankness,’ ‘Culture of Fear,’ ‘Soul Consumer,’ among others, though they avoid dwelling on the style for too long. In truth, they’re at their best when they’re at their heaviest – ‘Accelerate or Die,’ ‘Stamp of Credence,’ ‘Both Blood,’ and more.

I don’t often mention lyrics in reviews simply because not many speak to me personally, but there are a few lines on Vulcanus that hit home by appealing to issues that I struggle with on a regular basis, even if the lyrics below aren’t in the exact context FMT intended.

‘Blankness’: “I feel the emptiness in me”
‘Gates of Nowhere’: “I can’t be saved / I cannot hide / My time is running out / I can’t be saved / I cannot hide / I’m running out of life”

Essentially, Vulcanus is a safe bet if you’ve enjoyed these guys at any point during their career, and to make matters easier, I’m sure Century Media will attempt ubiquity with this one. It is irksome when these Germans mirror influential Swedes too much, plus 57 minutes is really testing the listener’s patience, but overall they rise above mediocrity and consequently pull off a shaky win here.

Official Fear My Thoughts Website
Official Century Media Website