Feedback/ Advice on my drum programming

emerica167852

Apr 6, 2010
Michigan
Hey, i just finished getting all the drums layed out for this quick cover of Ac 130 by attack attack. Im just trying to do a quick, easy song to practice some of my recording. I need some thoughts on my drum programming. I think its too fake sounding but I don't really know how to make it more realistic. I know its hard to tell with out the rest of the instruments. I will probly end up posting up the full mix when its done.

If you would like any details on the samples or anything let me know.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5825762/Ac 130 drum test.wav

Honestly I would just wait and post a full mix. Everything changes once all instruments are added. Although, the velocities need to be worked some. It does sound kinda fake.

You should think of buying some new samples, ( Multi Samples ) Because these sound like they'r all one Sampled.
For example , Joey sells some good samples on his website.

Yeah i agree i could defenetly use multi samples. I actually used the sturgis wecar snare multi samples but i only used the multi hits on the snare pattern in the middle. The toms are multi sampled too but again i only used them sparignly.
Mainly i feel i need some cymbal multisamples for sureee
Thanks a lot for ur input i appreciate it!

As Robert said, wait until the drums are in a mix, it's fairly pointless to judge how they sound out of context. Why did you 'sparingly' use the multi-samples? That's the point of a realistic sampled instrument, to have multiple kinds of hits and hit nuances at various velocities. Without it, your drums sound very robotic and fake, like an early drum machine. The individual velocities also need work. If you want good OH samples (and some workable drum samples), go to joey sturgis' website, and find a guy around here who goes by the name of 'blueax', he sells great samples too.