Feedback for a non-metal song

I think you can get away with a bit more boom on the drumkit, especially the kick and toms. It doesnt have to play against high-gain guitars or an agressive bass, so you could change that metal kick for a more subtle, more bassy one, without loads of attack. Maybe tone down the cymbals or the drumkit as a whole a bit, too.

For me the Snare and the OHs are a bit too harsh for a song like this. Maybe lowering the cymbals and cutting the attack of the snare would fix this. I agree with Ich66, the kick could be a bit more bassy. A great way to "thicken" a drumkit is to send the kick, snare, toms and room to a seperate bus to duplicate them. On this bus you put a relativly strong compressor and embed it in the mix the way you like the additional saturation.
But all in all a nice mix and cool song!

I think you can get away with a bit more boom on the drumkit, especially the kick and toms. It doesnt have to play against high-gain guitars or an agressive bass, so you could change that metal kick for a more subtle, more bassy one, without loads of attack. Maybe tone down the cymbals or the drumkit as a whole a bit, too.

Gotcha, I'll try to make it less metal-ish, haha i'm so used to mixing metal. I want a punchy snare sound, but I can hear a little harshness in the sound I have now. And @Jonathan Gaier, do you mean send those to seperate busses for each? what I usually do is mixing each part of the kit and then send the whole kit to a bus where i lightly compress and add reverb to fatten everything up (didn't do that on this song, i did this on FL Studio and i'm pretty bad with sends and busses in FL). thanks a lot for the feedback!

If the song is just as is... IMO the drums should sound totally different. Specially that snare. think about something that would inspire someone along with the piano... something smoothier, more roomy, less direct...
If this is vsti I would use softer velocities and different samples also.
The cymbals are harsh. Too harsh, it pierces.
I really liked the piano sound on this.

If the song is just as is... IMO the drums should sound totally different. Specially that snare. think about something that would inspire someone along with the piano... something smoothier, more roomy, less direct...
If this is vsti I would use softer velocities and different samples also.
The cymbals are harsh. Too harsh, it pierces.
I really liked the piano sound on this.

Thank you, this really helped a lot. I'm using Superior Drummer's Avatar kit, and I changed the snare sample to a more round snare I can already hear massive improvement. I really like the "snappy" snare sounds, or rather snares that really cut through the mix, but I'm experimenting sending my snare track to a reverb bus to get the more full sound you're talking about. As far as the cymbals go, I found that I had the velocities very high and did a little low pass filtering to make it less piercing. but i'm glad you liked the piano sound, it's FL Key's with a little delay and this cheesy plugin called the love filter hahaha :lol: but once again, i appreciate the feedback!

And @Jonathan Gaier, do you mean send those to seperate busses for each? what I usually do is mixing each part of the kit and then send the whole kit to a bus where i lightly compress and add reverb to fatten everything up (didn't do that on this song, i did this on FL Studio and i'm pretty bad with sends and busses in FL). thanks a lot for the feedback!

I usually mix each drum and the cymbals individually, put the whole kit into one folder and add Sends from the kick, snare, toms and the room to a seperate bus which isn't included in the folder. On this bus i put a compressor and sometimes some EQs and add the compressed sound to the one from the folder. I don't know if anybody can understand what i mean, it's really hard for me to explain it in English :D

I usually mix each drum and the cymbals individually, put the whole kit into one folder and add Sends from the kick, snare, toms and the room to a seperate bus which isn't included in the folder. On this bus i put a compressor and sometimes some EQs and add the compressed sound to the one from the folder. I don't know if anybody can understand what i mean, it's really hard for me to explain it in English :D

No dude, that makes total sense and it's what I thought you meant. It's really helpful, and thanks a bunch!