[Feedback please] New Single, Mixed by me, mastered by Acle! (4D Sounds/TesseracT)

FredSpooner

New Metal Member
Jun 4, 2008
www.facebook.com
Hey guys :)

I previously posted a teaser vid of a song I was working on for my band. It's finally out and available to stream on soundcloud.

I'd totally love honest, brutal feedback on the mix, and the song in general!

Recorded and mixed by yours truly, mastered at 4D Sounds by Acle Kahney.

Thanks for taking the time to check this shit out :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Structure wise, it uses variations of the main riff way too much and needs more let up. Could do with some more sparse sections to allow the main sections to kick in.

Vocally it reminds me of Incubus/P.O.D which is good but pushing it a bit too much at times which again, goes back to my point about impact.

Structure wise, it uses variations of the main riff way too much and needs more let up. Could do with some more sparse sections to allow the main sections to kick in. Vocally it reminds me of Incubus/P.O.D which is good but pushing it a bit too much at times which again, goes back to my point about impact.

I totally know what you're saying. When writing this song I set out to go for a "balls to the wall", radio single type thing. A lot of our other new stuff that we're working on incorporates better use of dynamic. We've definitely been in a transitional stage with respect to our "sound" and style, so lots of different stuff is materialising. I'm really looking forward to sharing.

Thanks for your feedback!

Sounds pretty good to me man. Are you using the Avatar Kit?

Thanks man! Yep, I am, I love it. IMO I noob'd the snare pretty hard, I need to work on my processing; a lot of that was fixed in the stem mastering stage... Other than that, pretty happy with the drum sound.

I got a long way to go, but this was definitely a milestone in my mixing career (if you can call it that :p) so far, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

Thanks for your feedback! :)

[edit: semantics]

I totally know what you're saying. When writing this song I set out to go for a "balls to the wall", radio single type thing. A lot of our other new stuff that we're working on incorporates better use of dynamic. We've definitely been in a transitional stage with respect to our "sound" and style, so lots of different stuff is materialising. I'm really looking forward to sharing.

Thanks for your feedback!

Glad you're accepting that feedback constructively, a lot of folk on here don't normally.

I think in order to make the most of YOUR sound specifically, you could do with an experienced external producer working with you on the songs and the production. No disrespect to the mix or the format of the recording, it's good by most standards. Just as a way of going that extra mile and it definitely helps more with 'rockier' tunes. Well done. Cheers.

Fred! Alex from Empress here!

New stuff is sounding awesome - I'm feeling the direction you're going for sure. Feels very British - nice one dude!

Glad you're accepting that feedback constructively, a lot of folk on here don't normally.

Oh definitely, man. You gotta be open to all kinds of feedback and critique. It's nice to get recognition for that, much appreciated!

I think in order to make the most of YOUR sound specifically, you could do with an experienced external producer working with you on the songs and the production.

I agree, both for improving and taking more care with my arrangements, but also to learn and gain more experience in my production approach. I love reading about and trying out new methods and techniques, but ultimately the best way for me to learn is to work with/watch a more experienced producer.

Thanks again for your feedback and critique!

Fred! Alex from Empress here!

New stuff is sounding awesome - I'm feeling the direction you're going for sure. Feels very British - nice one dude!

Yo dude! Thanks so much!

You guys are CRUSHING IT right now! Loving the stuff you're putting out. We gotta gig together again soon :)