fest question

dan of bereavement

shroud of bereavement
Jun 6, 2004
Amesbury mass
www.myspace.com
am trying to throw some ideas together about a line up for a 3 day type fest, I cant really get into specs at the moment. But I will say that I have some investors that are marginally interested in making this happen. My question is what bands would you kill to see here in the states? I want to have more obscure type bands that are not the type that you see here 3 times a year. Maybe 3 days and each day has a specific genre like day 1 Death/grind day 2 black metal day 3 doom/death.

So ideas would be helpful.

I may repost a poll thread if there is enough interest.

Thanks guys.

Let's see... bands I'd actually go out of my way to see
Root from Czechoslovakia
Asphyx
Strapping Young Lad
Unleashed
Tenet
Esoteric
Novembers Doom
Zimmer's Hole
Trouble

Bands I suspect others would go out of their way to see...
Agalloch
Woods of Ypres
Wolves in the Throne Room

If you really wanted something comparable to the big European festivals, you'd want to have 2-3 stages as well...divided by styles, for example. With that in mind, some bands I'd love to see live:

Axamenta
Beyond Twilight
Communic
Depresy
Destinity
Draconian
Equilibrium
Green Carnation
Gwynbleidd
Haggard
Insomnium
Mael Mórdha
Mar de Grises
Mekong Delta
Moonsorrow
Nevermore
Nocturnal Rites
Novembers Doom
Officium Triste
Old Man's Child
Pantheist
Primal Fear
Primordial
Pyramaze
Quo Vadis
Reclusiam
Redemption
Swallow the Sun
Teräsbetoni
Therion (with full stage show!)
Todesbonden
Winds
Wintersun

...and a few more that I just can't think of right now.

The thing to bear in mind is Dan wants to bring out some unusual bands. So the fest size would need to be reigned in enough to allow worthwhile sets with minimal scheduling conflicts. I mean if you drive 8+ hours to see Agalloch and they play 20 minutes, chances of repeat business are pretty slim. (Not to mention that any band with a manager worth a damn will get them the same payment for a set that short as they would for a 60.)

The thing to bear in mind is Dan wants to bring out some unusual bands. So the fest size would need to be reigned in enough to allow worthwhile sets with minimal scheduling conflicts. I mean if you drive 8+ hours to see Agalloch and they play 20 minutes, chances of repeat business are pretty slim. (Not to mention that any band with a manager worth a damn will get them the same payment for a set that short as they would for a 60.)
Well, yeah....I wasn't suggesting ALL of those, obviously...just presenting some ideas for a pool of bands from which to choose.

stryper.jpg

...and a few more that I just can't think of right now.

There. Translated into English at last!

Very good ideas guys, as I said this is my first real post besides rttp, so once I get a good list, then go from there. By the way, bigger bands likeNevermore will ultimately be on there as the draw for the smaller acts, I'm thinking 3 to 6 big headliners and a bunch of sich obscure bands. This is a years worth of work, so this will take time.

Well dude, I'll help as much as I can. The scene could use something that isn't just "you're touring in the spring? after doing so the other three seasons? and the four before that? COME ON OVER!"

Well, keep in mind, money is a big issue with bands as travel expenses can be high. For foreign bands, there is a long process they have to go through with not only money, but visas and other things. You should talk to Snake about it, Dan. I am sure he can give you loads of advice.

Well, keep in mind, money is a big issue with bands as travel expenses can be high. For foreign bands, there is a long process they have to go through with not only money, but visas and other things. You should talk to Snake about it, Dan. I am sure he can give you loads of advice.

Yeah, visas are huuuuge....ProgPower USA just had to replace 4 bands due to some ridiculous visa issues, brought on by the people who approve them (and apparently do so with some degree of randomness, and will deny visas for no apparent reason, and not tell you why). If you read this thread, it explains things much better: http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/progpower-usa/511238-pp-usa-x-major-roster-changes.html

Yeah. The other thing to bear in mind is a first-run sets the standard for your fest. If you've got hopes of repeating, you want a lineup that is balanced both sonically and in terms of potential complications. I mean if everyone has their flights booked, hotels arranged, and is frothing at the mouth then your top three attractions are denied visas based on a low credit rating (not an official reason but they can be ridiculous) that can hit pretty hard. So balancing things out with say Atheist or Agalloch or Novembers Doom type bands who have issues with full on touring but still have a pretty vocal audience is wise.