File Sharing

Nate The Great

What would Nathan do?
May 10, 2002
www.ultimatemetal.com
I have a few questions about this topic. In case you didn't know, the RIAA (or something like that) has been sueing all kinds of people for downloading stuff - primarily from Kazaa.

1. Am I safe from the legal authorities if I don't "share" my files with others (even though this defeats the purpose of file sharing)?

2. I currently use Kazaa Lite. Are there other versions of Kazaa that would be safer?

3. I've tried WinMX, and it is OK, but not as good as Kazaa. Are there other P2P networks I should check out?

I don't think the RIAA represents the labels of the type of stuff you listen to anyway.:p I've found that Music for Nations is a RIAA member, which makes me have second thoughts about buying new Entombed, Anathema and Opeth stuff (thankfully I was kind of wary of those bands' newer releases anyway)

Check if a release is released on a RIAA record label here:
http://www.magnetbox.com/riaa/

riaa.gif

Erik said:
I don't think the RIAA represents the labels of the type of stuff you listen to anyway.:p
I never even thought about that.

Nice link Erik, but even though the RIAA definitely sucks ass the label a band is on won't stop me from buying their music.

npearce said:
My wife downloads a lot of popular music, and I have no problem with her ripping those bands off. But I don't want to get sued.
Using SoulSeek instead of the comparatively unsafe and generally crappy KaZaa should keep you reasonably safe for now... but don't blame me if the RIAA decides to anally rape you anyway.

Metal Blade RIAA members? So it seems... Sigh. Both Century Media and Nuclear Blast seem OK, though.

There's another reason I can't boycott RIAA labels, Rykodisc is part of the RIAA. That label rules, they always release weird shit with all sorts of bonus crap. Real fan-focused label, at least as far as I have seen.

Also, Discipline Global Mobile. That is the coolest label ever, they give full artist control and release all kinds of drool worthy material for fans.

Yo! MTV Raps is part of the RIAA!?! That's it, full support of anything related to RIAA! :p

I believe they are going after the people who share their files. Also, as has been pointed out, I don't believe the RIAA is looking to protect Metal bands (by and large). Plus, they've been losing court battles left and right.

Zod

The RIAA is looking to make examples out of people to discourage others from file sharing, so there probably lies truth in that they will not be going after metal sharers -- it's much more effective to say "hey, look at this 15-year old kid, just like you [average American teenager], who downloaded two N'Sync tracks and ended up with $15,000,000 in fines" than "yeah, this guy downloaded Entombed and... don't download Entombed, kids"

But really, don't let the RIAA scare you, that's what they're trying to pull. I believe I speak for everyone on the planet with a functioning brain when I say RIAA, FUCK YOU and the horse you rode in on.

Erik said:
I believe I speak for everyone on the planet with a functioning brain when I say RIAA, FUCK YOU and the horse you rode in on.
Yep. Just not all their affiliates. :p

I knew a few people that had thousands of songs and owned under 10 CDs total, but sometimes I wonder how many people really pirate 95% of their music? The RIAA can take one look at our Latest Purchases thread and shove it up their ass. :loco:

As much as I hate the RIAA, it's people like Nad described who are the cause of their overzealous and self-defeating measures. I have no problem with using file sharing as a sampling mechanism, but those who refuse to pay for music altogether deserve some kind of reprimand.

Wish I had an alternative for you npearce, but seeing as how I don't download copywrited stuff, I don't.

Now, file-sharing live recordings is a whole 'nother story...and one the RIAA can't touch.