Final mix of a band I mixed/mastered

nwright

Apr 19, 2005
New Castle, Indiana
www.myspace.com
It's definitely demo quality, but here's the Myspace link. You may be able to download the mp3, I didn't check and it's blocked here at work.

www.myspace.com/signsofdecay

The mastered version doesn't have the pumping you hear during double bass parts...Can mp3 compression add that much? I always encode at 156 or higher, but their stuff sounds like less than that, which I'm assuming is causing the pumping. Also, their guitarist wanted "more guitars" and a +5db @ 1200Hz boost (Q of 10) for more "cut". I was against it, but...

Anyway, I know the format isn't ideal, but any thoughts?

Soungs good except the rapping the myspace does on it. I can def hear the squishness is the high end. Get a wave up on yousendit or something. 6505?

Nah, it was VHT UL and Engl Fireball. the initial guitar tone was pretty weak, as it sounded like he recorded it with the mic straight on the cone. I did what I would considers some pretty drastic cuts in a few frequencies to get rid of fizz.

I'll post another version later on tonight. WMA files don't seem to sound as bad at equivalent kbps settings as mp3's, I may post a clip in wma format.

sounds pretty good man, i hear A LOT of vocals over the band...the drums seem a bit distant thru the fast parts, and the guitars are a bit muddy...not sure how much of that is due to the recording itself tho, and i know there's only so much one can do afterward

it has a nice feel to it tho, which i really dig

here's the wma clip.

Initially there were 6 guitars tracks. I cut it down to 4 guitars tracks (100% L and R, 80% L and R) on this song (Intoxigeddon) to try to get rid of some mud. But, performance wise it's "demo quality", so the playing isn't super tight. Also, 3 songs with 6 tracks each of guitar and 1 day to track = compromises in performance quality.

I feel good about it considering it's my 2nd mix and master, the first being my band's EP. Compression is still the biggest challenge for me. I feel I stepped it up on the drum front, but getting a nice comp for the whole mix is still eluding me. I feel much more comfortable using multiband compression in my mastering chain than I do using general compression.

http://geetarguy.tripod.com/intoxclip.wma