Finally bought Reaper- where to start?

JonWormwood

Jun 16, 2007
Jax, Fl
I've had it for awhile but work has been so busy. What's the best way to learn reaper? Ive got a band in two weeks and I want to really know reaper with confidence before we start.

The best way to familiarize yourself with it is probably just spend time using it. What you might want to try is just taking some stems you have mixed before and start mixing them in Reaper. That way you will hit any roadblocks in your workflow now and you can figure them out before you have to record a band and have time to reference the manual or sort them out on your own.

i find it very similar to cubase in some way. that things you should get used to is that right mouse click is for selection, and that you dont have any group/aux tracks.

basiclly you just have an audio track which can be used as an aux, fx channel, or even parent to it another tracks, so it's like a group track.
also you dont have stereo or mono tracks. each track can include ( i think) up to 4 channels

i find it very similar to cubase in some way. that things you should get used to is that right mouse click is for selection, and that you dont have any group/aux tracks.

basiclly you just have an audio track which can be used as an aux, fx channel, or even parent to it another tracks, so it's like a group track.
also you dont have stereo or mono tracks. each track can include ( i think) up to 4 channels

I figured that one out.

The punch-in is kinda weird. like if you don't reach the marker while recording, it will record the part that was recording. If that made sense.

I have to get those sws add-ons that adam has for slip editing., and for that beat detective clone he made :worship:

I agree, just start using it, then whenever you come across something you can't figure out how to do just search it or check out youtube or the Manuel (manual).

Now that I'm finally "into it" my biggest regret about switching to it from Poo Tools and Sonar was that I didn't do it sooner.

For post-production game sound it "kicks ass", the only time I've opened Sonar up in over a month was to export some tracks to get them into Reaper.

I'd say give yourself a month or so to really get used to it, I'm pretty sure you won't be disappointed, it's not perfect, but at least it's not a pile of shit that costs 10x more.