fingerpicking electric guitar

MetalBooger

Feb 6, 2006
i only play classical guitar so i dont know shit about using a pick, but im just wondering, are there any guitar players using classical fingerpicking technique to play metal? Im asking cuz im thinking of adapting my technique to better suit metal and rock.

I use the fleashy part combined with the nail to strike the strings, wondering if i should strengthen and grow my nail to improve the tone.

i only play classical guitar so i dont know shit about using a pick, but im just wondering, are there any guitar players using classical fingerpicking technique to play metal? Im asking cuz im thinking of adapting my technique to better suit metal and rock.

I use the fleashy part combined with the nail to strike the strings, wondering if i should strengthen and grow my nail to improve the tone.

learn how to use a pick u damn redneck... ur not playing a banjo
the closest thing to fingerpicking in metal are advanced bass technics(using 3 or 4 fingers) but the strings of the bass guitar are much bigger. if you ONLY usefingerpicking in an eletric guitar the steel strings will slice your fingers

learn picking dude, alternate picking is your best friend

and check this video http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2298265087432536730&q=angra+bass
see the bass fingerpicking... very fast

The only one that comes to mind is Mark Knopfler. Thumb for downstrokes index finger for upstrokes. Not really metal but the guys' phrasing was pretty unique because of his goofy picking style. Good luck if it works, seriously.

D.

if you ONLY usefingerpicking in an eletric guitar the steel strings will slice your fingers

I dont think so lol

cant think of any players who only do fingerpicking in metal. I've seen some guys use it for some parts, mainly clean-parts though. I think fingerpicking is a really cool thing for clean parts if you can do it right (I figure you probably can seeing that you play classical) because you can get your sound much more accoustic-like that way. I guess you could use it for some lead-playing, too. I'd like to hear that at least
for all the rythm-stuff I think the pick is the way to go. at least I cant think of a way to really use fingerpicking for this (or you could think of a style/technic of your own)

Eric Johnson does alot of finger picking stuff, and he plays a hard rock style, with the odd whaling metal solo.

I too learnt classical first. And then started playing metal, but my riffs were restricted to Black Sabbath rip offs (slow). Then I picked up a pick and for a while couldn't even play 16ths at 120 bpm... My left hand is still way more advanced than my right now, but I can do tremelo and stuff.

If you can play the verse for Suicide Nation by At the Gates finger picking, then you'll be a novelty and a commodity :p

Then again... check out Bob Zabek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j949jbkgOW4

Alan Holdsworth does some mean business with the fingers. Mark Knopfler is already mentioned but deserves a +1 because he's one of the more interesting fingerpicking electric guitarists regardless of genre.

Alan Holdsworth does some mean business with the fingers. Mark Knopfler is already mentioned but deserves a +1 because he's one of the more interesting fingerpicking electric guitarists regardless of genre.

I can't think of a metal guitarist, but along with these rock and roll guys I can add Lindsey Buckingham.

If I were you, I would expand my technique and learn to play with a pick, but I certainly would also try to work the fingered technique into a metal style as well. You have something unique there.

Bryant

One of the all time best guitarists only finger picks. Jeff Beck. Although not metal he does perform some bitchin riffs..

learn how to use a pick u damn redneck... ur not playing a banjo
the closest thing to fingerpicking in metal are advanced bass technics(using 3 or 4 fingers) but the strings of the bass guitar are much bigger. if you ONLY usefingerpicking in an eletric guitar the steel strings will slice your fingers

learn picking dude, alternate picking is your best friend

and check this video http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2298265087432536730&q=angra+bass
see the bass fingerpicking... very fast

This guy just oozes pure genius.

You can use pretty much any style of picking you feel comfortable with, but sooner or later you're going to need to learn how to use a pick, it's really not that hard once you get used to the feeling.