Two-handed tapping vs fingernails - how to get these two along?

brain_47

New Metal Member
Jul 17, 2007
I need advice on this matter. I play both the classical and the electric guitar. I love'em both. To produce a nice clean sound on the classical you gotta have longer fingernails on your right hand. The problem is, that when I play my electric guitar I use the two-handed tapping technique and it is reeeeeeeally hard to tap while having long fingernails. How to get these two along? Can anybody help?

Thanks for the suggestions. There are, however, some "buts". As for the first hint, I'm gonna try it out. Maybe it'll work. When it comes to cutting the ring finernail, well, some classical guitar techniques (such as tremolo, for example) require all fingernails, even the pinky, especially when playing flamenco.
As far as the last suggestion is concerned, I take it you mean fingerpicks, such as these

http://www.alltabs.com/graphics/fingerpicks1.jpg

Well, I'm going to try them as well. Thanks once again.

Personally I like pieces by J.S. Bach transcribed for the guitar. Most are very difficult, but it pays a lot to play Mr. Bach. Right now I'm learning the Fugue from BWV 1001 violin sonata (transcribed for the guitar it's a "finger-twister", as my friend calls it ;)). A video can be found on YouTube. I just love it played by Julian Bream.
"Recuerdos de la Alhambra" by Francisco Tarrega is nice. "Un Dia De Noviembre" by Leo Brouwer is simply awesome.
There's a lot of good pieces out there and it's simply impossible to name them all. A lot can be found on YouTube. I hope I was helpful.