Fingernails vs two-handed tapping - how to get these two along? (to Chris)

brain_47

New Metal Member
Jul 17, 2007
I need advice on this matter. I play both the classical and the electric guitar and I love'em both. To produce a nice clean sound on the classical you gotta have longer fingernails on your right hand. The problem is, that when I play my electric guitar I use the two-handed tapping technique and it is reeeeeeeally hard to tap while having long fingernails. How to get these two along? Can you help, Chris?

I need advice on this matter. I play both the classical and the electric guitar and I love'em both. To produce a nice clean sound on the classical you gotta have longer fingernails on your right hand. The problem is, that when I play my electric guitar I use the two-handed tapping technique and it is reeeeeeeally hard to tap while having long fingernails. How to get these two along? Can you help, Chris?

Hey Brain_47,

this has been a question I have tried to tackle for some time. Until recently I would just keep my nails just long enough to get a decent tone to practice classical while also practice my tapping. I would trim my nails when recording my tapping or grow then when recording the classical (all very hard to manage). Lately I have been using Alaska piks for my classical and it has been very liberating. There is a lot involved in shaping them correctly but once you get it they are set and the tone is great. here is the link:

http://www.alaskapik.com/

I don't use one for my thumb that is still nail.

hope this helps.
Chris.

I have this problem as well... I'm keeping my nails long this year, because I'm doing a classical diploma at uni, but once I finish that, I'm gonna trim them to just long enough for classical, but short enough for tapping...

Has anyone ever tried tapping on a scalloped fretboard??? Isn't the problem then solved, since the fingernails are not digging into the wood? At least for eight-finger tapping the right hand is positioned in an angle, which could actually let this work. So any experiences here? Never played a scalloped neck myself, just had this idea yesterday and am curious now :)

unfortunately it won't.

the nails still hit the strings damaging them and making them useless on the classical.

Take care, Chris.

unfortunately it won't.

the nails still hit the strings damaging them and making them useless on the classical.

Take care, Chris.

I wish I would have read that, before I fucked up my fretboard yesterday, trying to scallop it myself haha. Anyway, Chris is right (of course). It really doesn't work. But I've learned something new: scalloped Fretboards are awesome!