Classical vs Modern study

seanct

New Metal Member
Feb 24, 2010
Hey Chris,
I'm currently studying classical guitar at the University of GA, but I am still an electric guitarist at heart and would love to further my modern electric guitar abilities.

I understand that you studied classical and was wondering how you were able to find a happy median between the aggressive styles of rock/metal versus the sensitivity of classical. I'm worried my two loves might start to conflict.

THANK YOU!

Sean

I am not Chris, but same for me: electric player who studies classical guitar...
to answer your question about conflict... well... not at all! and I don't see why, in the first place!
the one will benefit from the other, and learning different styles is totally important for improvement, musically... so be as open minded as you can, and you will learn from every style of music!
technically, there's also a huge amount of similarities, and those things that are different will help you to improve as a guitarist.
it comes all down to the amount of practice, and things you do learn while studying pieces on the classical, can fall a bit out of your electric practice schedule.
at the moment I am playing Heitor Villa- Lobos: Prélude No.1 and Johann S. Bach: Gigue Lute suite in Am.. both pieces are very different from each other but they both helped my overall technique to gain accuracy and endurance. not to mention the style of composing and the certain harmonic twists and what not...

why not let those two worlds be just one?

once I started studying classical I lost most of my interest for electric for about the first year. Now I write out a daily practice schedule and use a timer on my actual practice time, and serperate things out evenly. I usually spend more time on weak points. As long as you practice correctly every style will help eachother out.