Classical vs Electric guitar technical conflict

GabrielValdivia

New Metal Member
Sep 23, 2012
I am studying classical guitar (like you or Jeff Waters did) in a Fine Arts School. I am doing this, not only beacause of the influence you are for me, but also for love I have for classical and flamenco music. The problem is, when I play electric guitar, my classical technique is affected and puts me into trouble at school (with my guitar teacher). I want to take some electric guitar lessons, but it is another technique and I don't want to leave my career either , I'm gonna make both.And the question are:

How did you learn electric guitar while you studied classical guitar?
How did you adapt one technic to another?
How can I avoid to show up I'm making both technics and not make it so noticeable for my classic guitar teacher?

I know I'm not Chris... I just wanted to offer my perspective on this as I am also studying Classical Guitar in addition to playing the electric guitar. :D

A thing that has really helped me, is to try and go into a certain mindset in regards to which instrument you are playing. In this case, Classical vs Electric.

There really isn't anything different in terms of the left hand. If you are playing 3NPS scales or legato lines, you are going to want to use the "Classical" technique, meaning thumb behind the neck, fingers aren't flying over the place. This is THE way to develop speed when playing more than 2 notes on a single string.

Obviously, the differences for the right hand are more apparent. One style uses a pick, the other doesn't (generally). Playing Classical with just your fingers alternating I-M will help your left hand still. The left hand gets a work-out no matter which style you are playing.

Basically, I'd isolate the certain techniques that each instrument call for and then work on both. The problem only comes (in my mind), when you neglect one or the other. So for classical guitar, work on your free strokes and rest strokes, your right hand arpeggio patterns, tremolo, etc..

With electric guitar, you have the pick. So work on sweep picking, alternate picking, economy picking, strumming patterns, etc..

Legato works on both instruments but stuff like fast blues licks (hammer-ons pull-offs) should only be done on your electric guitar, at least don't let yourself mindlessly do them on a classical guitar, as usually you'd have the thumb sticking over the neck.

Hope this makes sense, keep practicing!

My son has not had a conflict with either hand. However, it is harder to play heavy metal with the long fingernails required for classical guitar.