Finished Mix & 10 minute "making of" video

KeithRT99 said:
yeah, i mean it sounds really good, but the drums need a bit of work.

was a recto used for the guits?

Thanks man. Yeah, the drums could have been a little tighter... no question there... but then again, budget... ..it was small.

Guitars were 5150/Marshall V30 cab, dual 57's in a Richardson configuration.

BTW, yeah, I love Carlin's stuff...

Oz don't give 'em something for free, if they can't pay for all correction on drums, fuck then.
People expect too much from the engineer... if they can't play tight that's not my business unless they can pay me to fix errors.
Same here, I started a demo session for my buddies, they didn't want to play to a click, I won't fix anything really much.
Hell it was free so they can't tell me: "this is wrong.. fix it, this is right... that's ok this way".

I don't know whether it's that some of you guys aren't studio owners or maybe haven't had a lot of real world recording experience, but for us engineers that aren't the Murphy's, Fredman's and Andy's of the world, a good majority of bands that come through are like those guys.

Nervous and unrehearsed. They don't know what to expect in a studio, their nerves get the better of them and the performances become barely passable. It's something you deal with as a semi-professional tracking engineer on a day by day basis.

I know what you mean. The drummer couldn't play to a click, if I forced him to play to a click we would be here after a 120 hours session struggling again for one perfect fill, and when I say one I say one.... Good thing is that without click he plays well, not the tightest man in the world but nearly good.
He couldn't play to a click, he sucks. The typical guy who get nervous while tracking, that's the one I hate most..... relax and play man!

OZ! First off, WAY cool to have a video, I love watching studio vids...

But.... the timing here is... for lack of a better word.. and to use my favorite word... WACK.

Where is the mandatory BLIP blip blip blip. ??

Seeing this video, just makes my case for the mandatory production and release of:

The Sneap Sessions - Volume 1. Feat. Special Guest James Murphy.

beyond the obvious and already stated lack-of-click/sloppy playing issues i have only one comment: Oz, set up a talkback system. you can do it with a 57 or any other mic, you don't need to buy anything. i can see that you are only a pane or two of glass away from the drummer, but this would make things easier.

The overall sound is great, I'd only like that the toms were a bit closer and in your face, less "roomy" and that the guitars were less modern sounding, but that's just me and my preference - great job, Oz! ;)

James Murphy said:
uhm... then why's he shouting through the glass door dude?...

Hahaha! Wouldn't the door be useless anyway if he can SHOUT through it? I mean 90% of the drumsound would blast through it, wouldn't it?

James, I don't know what scene you are talking about in the video, but I guess that talkback was on and he was just looking at the drummer ...

smy1 said:
Hahaha! Wouldn't the door be useless anyway if he can SHOUT through it? I mean 90% of the drumsound would blast through it, wouldn't it?

James, I don't know what scene you are talking about in the video, but I guess that talkback was on and he was just looking at the drummer ...
he was shouting.