FIREWIND LIVE CD/DVD!!!!!!

I have been looking forward to this DVD since I first bought the special edition of The Premonition which came with a bonus DVD containing extracts of Live Premonition. I was not disappointed. I love Firewind not only because of the consistently great music they put out but also the effort they put into creating great artwork for their releases as well as the image of the band. With Firewind you buy into the whole package and thus experience the music at multiple levels.

ARTWORK AND PACKAGING
As usual the artwork is based around The Premonition and is very tastefully put together. Holding the special deluxe edition of the DVD +2CD set is like holding poetry in your hands!

THE CONTENT
Firewind is one of those bands who listen to what the fans say and do their best to keep them happy. There is almost two hours of live music on both the DVD and CDs…and that’s just the main concert filmed entirely in Thessaloniki, Greece! The band has also taken the pain to include all their videos from The Premonition and Allegiance as well as put together a tour diary and include a bonus video footage filmed in Canada and on MAD TV.

What makes a great live DVD for me is not only how the band performs or what songs are played but also how the concert was filmed and presented. Many times the DVDs put out by bigger bands fail to capture the essence of a live gig on their DVD simply because the way the concert was shot and put together. But this is not the case here. The band is beautifully shot and the way the DVD is put together makes me feel that I am actually watching the band in concert! Furthermore, I am really pleased that the band has mixed the DVD in stereo as opposed to the surround sound that was available on the DVD teaser. This will allow people who have a stereo configuration to enjoy the gig to its full potential. The sound and image are of top quality. The sound is well produced and yet manages to retain a certain live rawness.

So far all the videos that I have seen of Firewind have been on youtube. I have never been impressed as they I always saw them through that small window on the computer screen and not necessarily of the best quality. However, on this DVD the videos when watched on widescreen suddenly spring to life! The videos are a great addition to the package. It is with great pleasure that I rediscovered them and finally was able to appreciate them the way the band and director had intended them to be seen and experienced. Videos like Mercenary Man which seem bland and ‘dry like toast’ (to quote Michael Constantine from My Big Fat Greek Wedding) now sound and look larger than life and truly engaging! I will never watch them on youtube again.

The bonus live performance in Montreal does not match the audio visual quality of the Thessaloniki one but still makes for an interesting experience with its motion blur as the camera moves around.

The two bonus videos from Mad TV tap into the acoustic sensibilities of Firewind which is not often seen in concert.

The tour diary is really quite funny yet informative. My favourite part has to be when Apollo ‘enters the Matrix’ as well as Bob Katsionis’ explanation of what every other band member does when they are on the road.

COMPLAINTS
My only gripe about the packaging is that instead of the fold out they could have instead released it as a book like Inside Out does for their DVD+CD releases. It is thus easier to handle and guaranteed not to rip over time.

As for the DVD itself, the intro to the menu should have been shorter. Once the novelty factor wears out it becomes a tad irritating to have to play through the intro to the menu every time you want to access the menu as it seems to take forever.

These are however minor complaints which do not in any way hinder the enjoyment of this great live DVD.

CONCLUSION
This is a DVD which will please the hardcore fans as well as first timers. The discography of Firewind is well represented throughout the DVD. Anybody buying this DVD will be sure to be entertained for hours and days to come. This concert gets a 10/10 plus two thumbs up from me! Live Premonition is a professional DVD of high quality which I’m proud to have in my collection.

Buy now…thank me later!

I'm waiting for mine in the mail. I've heard the audio and that sounds great. I wish they could tour the US more. :headbang:

The JP release of The Premonition had the bonus DVD with 4 songs from a concert in Thessaloniki, Greece. Is the new DVD the full show of that performance or another concert taped Thessaloniki ?

while the whole setlist looks great (THEY'RE PLAYING "DELIVERANCE") I have to raise my eyebrow at them playing the eight songs off The Premonition in a row. And them playing Dreamchaser.

AND WHY IS THERE ONLY ONE SONG OFF FORGED BY FIRE?! I mean it is probably my least favorite album, but they should have done Kill To Live at least...

don't get me wrong, i am really excited for the DVD, i just don't think that Firewind is going to be winning any setlist order awards

Yeah, my friend and I thought it was f*cking awsome, but we missed Kill to live too. (after the show in Tilburg, the Netherlands)

Finally got this in like a week ago, watched it a few times.

Can't really make any set list complaints, but I will nit-pick:
-Warning to those who haven't seen it, Dreamchaser is not actually performed, they only do the intro as a segue between the drum solo and Till the End of Time
-One song of Forged By Fire is not enough. Hate World Hero is an amazing song and they should do that, Beware the Beast, Kill to Live... anything besides just doing Tyranny.
-Steal Them Blind was performed a bit on the Allegiance tour and is unfortunately absent here
-If they were going to exclude two Premonition songs, why Remembered? It's easily one of the best tracks on the CD.

I feel the band is extremely tight (as they were both times I saw them), and they give a really great performance. Vocals could've been better though, and Apollo forgot a lot of words to songs both new and old. All in all a great DVD though, it looks fantastic.