first black tide album

carlocki

Oct 12, 2011
someone know production knowledge about this nice album (light from above)
i am pretty sure about jackson guitar and pickups, not so sure about amplifier (maybe triple recto due a video with rehearsal on youtube)

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry i dont really have anything to add. i thought that song above was absolutely terrible though.

havent heard any of their album stuff, but the fact gggarth richardson was involved with the most recent one probably has a big part to do with why it sounds great.

EDIT: johhny k did their first one who isnt exactly bad either....

yea they were thrown on the ozzfest stage at the age of what? like 15? So I'm sure a lot of it was nerves. but even in this vid...they're flat on just about every note. they want to sing those higher octaves like its the 80's, but they just cant quite make it. but hey, vince neil fuckin sucked too, and motley crue is still one of my favorite bands

Just emailed Groovemaster in Chicago, where Light From Above was recorded. No guarantees, but maybe they'll hit me back in a while.

I know these guys... They are locals here and played @ my high shcool before getting signed.

Very cool dudes. That first album is pretty different from the second. I love the production on their second album though! Rockin

Received an email from the studio manager earlier today.

Hi Jay,

It's no problem, and thank you for the high praises! I'll give you as much insight as I can-without giving away out secrets :) My name is Crystal and I'm the studio manager here at Groovemaster. I've been here since 2008, but their record was actually recorded in 2007. I can't give you specific settings or presets, but I can tell you that the drums were recorded at our old location at 1820 W Webster in Chicago. That location is no longer a studio, but that is where we tracked drums. We used our house Gretsch drum kit that we have here, which is available for rental to bands that record here at the studio. As far as the drum mic-pres we used our SSL 4000 G+ console, some Neve 9098 pres, our Neve 1095's and our Neve Melbourne (33114). Sometimes the engineers do some sound replacer tracks to make the drums sound more full-really it's a mix of 3 different snare sounds or 3 different kick sounds. I'm not sure if that was done on this album or not.

As far as guitar amps and cabs, we have a few staple amps and cabs that we often go to. On the Black Tide album we used our Diezel amp, a Mesa Dual Rectifier amp, Roccaforte amp, Bogner amp, a Marshall JCM 2000, Marshall TSL 100, an Ampeg SVT-2 Pro with an Ampeg bass cab, an EV cab, a Marshall cab and a Randall cab. We used a few other pedals as well with those to create some of the effects as well as a ton of outboard gear for effects (Eventide DSP 7000, Lexicon PCM 70, SPX 900, DRP 20 and a few others). We also use lots of compressors like the LA-2A, 1176, Summit TLA-100, Phoenix, Manley, Altec....too many to list. And they were all used on that album!

We often use an Avalon bass DI and a Distressor on our bass sound.

For mics on the guitar/bass cab we use the standard that you'll find at most studios, an SM 58, Beyerdynamic M88, TLM 170, Sennheiser 421.

Hope this helps a little! I'm sorry I can't give you specifics on settings and all of that. Let me know if you have any more questions!

--
Crystal Olson
Studio Manager
Groovemaster Recording Chicago
1719 S Clinton St. Chicago, IL 60616
P. (312) 929-2811
F. (312) 929-2842
C. (319) 929-6991
www.facebook.com/groovemasterstudios

Got any more questions?